Chapter 6

Harumi's POV

SLAM. The gates of the monastery shuddered. I shuddered. The wind was howling as the evening sun kissed the sky. I took a long, deep breath. This will all be over soon, I thought to myself.The staring. The doubts. I had to prove that I was capable of overcoming my past, right? But...what if I can't? What if that was a part of me that I'll never be able to leave behind. Like...my parents. My eyes widened as they stung. I hit the back of my head on the monastery gates. It's too late to change. I don't even trust myself anymore. I opened my eyes and saw what just the person I wanted to see. Garmadon. Lloyd's father. I almost ran towards him. I calmed myself, making deliberate steps down the stairs to meet Garmadon, who was, amazingly, still watering his pet-plant.

"Good evening Harumi", Garmadon greeted me, with an unusual twist in his mouth that looked like a grimace.Oh—a smile. An Oni was smiling at me. What next?

"Garmadon", I nodded and smiled, standing beside him. This gave me a strange feeling of Deja Vu, only not quite. My mind flashed to a few years ago, when I resurrected Emperor Garmadon, and I stood by his side, watching him force the people of Ninjago to bow before him. I shivered. My head swirled. I sat on the ground next to his plant to steady myself.

Garmadon looked down at me in confusion," What are you doing,Harumi?"

Uh-oh.

"Uh", I started,"Just—relaxing my muscles. Long day—I guess."

My voice faltered. Garmadon furrowed his eyebrows.

"Harumi", Garmadon asked,"Is...something wrong?"

I shook my head, as my head started swirling again, I could feel tears burning my eyes. I looked at his over-hydrated plant.

"Wow", my voice cracked,"You really took care of him."

I forced a smile at Garmadon, who continued to stare at me. Creepy.

"Yes", he said, slowly shifting his eyes to the plant," Christofern has been flourishing splendidly.

I nodded.

"I learned that, when finding our roots, we all can flourish into better individuals."He said, looking at me.

I pondered at that.

"Do you not agree with me?", he asks in a slightly concerned tone

"No!", I said,"It's not that—it's just...in reality...it's hard to live up to that—finding our roots."

He looked at me, waiting for an explanation. I sighed. Like Father, like Son.

"Well", I said, fumbling with my fingers anxiously," I—I just...can't seem to find my own roots yet."

He tilted his head, thoughtful, before turning to me.

"Are you absolutely sure about that, my dear?", Garmadon asked gently,"I, for one, think you have—but you just don't see it yet."

He gestures to the monastery, but I slowly shake my head.

"The monastery isn't my home, Garmadon.", I said glumly,"I—I don't even have a family anymore."

I shut my eyes tightly, narrowly avoiding the years of wretched tears I have refused to shed. I feel a hand rested on my shoulder, and I look up. Garmadon smiles at me.

"Your family is right here.", he assures me,"You have me, the ninja, my brother— and my son."

He smiles wider. Even more creepy. But—oddly comforting.

I smiled.

"I know", I said, nodding,"Your son is practically the only person who really understands."

Garmadon nodded,"Yes, he can be quite a sentiment. Nevertheless—these are your roots. You may have lost your birth family—but you still have another that makes you feel at home."

I froze, feeling momentarily stunned.

"I gather...", he continued, looking rather smug for my liking,"that you feel more at home when you're here."

My already wide pupils popped wider, my moth agape.

"H-how—did you know that", I managed to stammer.

He chuckles, shaking his head and looking back at Christofern.

"You have only begun to sprout from your roots, Harumi. Just Remember, whatever trouble you have caused in the past, forget about it! There is no point whacking yourself about it now! You are stronger than this! Show the world that you are no longer that person. You are a strong and independent lady—you must face your fears."

His words hit me in the face like a hot rod. My eyes squinted in pain, as the tears blurred my vision.

Garmadon gazed at me in—was it sympathy on his face?

"I believe...", he said,"This is what people do when someone feels upset."

"I am NOT upset", I growled,"I am—what are you doing?"

I looked at his outstretched arms in disbelief.

"Don't people hug in times like this?", he asks,"I'm sorry, but I'm still learning too."

As I stood up, he wrapped me in an awkward hug, which I honestly felt comforted instantly. Until his grip tightened.

"Ow", I breathed,"Too—tight."

He dropped his arms,"Oops. I have been told that I need to work on my grip."

"No kidding", I muttered, rubbing my ribs.

"Well", he said slowly making his way down the steps,"I must be going now—Vinny's ordering pizza today!"

The Former Lord of Destruction and his unhealthy obsession for pizza. Will wonders never cease?

"Oh,"he said abruptly,"Don't forget what I told you, Harumi. Before you know it, you'll fit in just fine."

I smiled gently as I nodded in understanding. He smiled back and continued down the steps. I watched in slight melancholy until he disappeared in the layers of clouds.

                                                                    ...........................................................

I was going to try. Garmadon was right. I can't avoid my past. I had to face it. Somehow, someway.

As I attended to my thoughts, I paced across the monastery, knowing it was empty. But a sudden movement from the corner of my eye stopped me. A blur of green ran to the room. Lloyd.

I ran and knocked on his door. No answer.

"Lloyd?",I asked slowly,"Is that you?"

I slowly opened the door and froze. Yes, it was him. I've seen him like this before. There he stood facing the mirror, his eyes glowing purple. I gasped. He turned, facing me—an enraged look on his face.

A/N- Hi guys! Happy Sunday!!! How do you think the story is going so far? What do you think about Harumi so far? Sorry if this is kinda short but I wanted to end this chapter with a cliffhanger, you're welcome:) Stay tuned!---there are more surprises up my sleeve! I'll update ASAP and...I'll see u guys later!!