Chapter 19

Lloyd's POV

Harumi lunged towards me, an enraged look on her face.

If I didn't know what she was about to do, she would have almost instantly pinned me to the floor. But, being a Ninja, I have my ways.

The second she put her hands on my shoulders, I side-stepped, grabbing her hands, and pinned her to the wall.

She tried to pull her hands away but I locked them with mine tightly.

"Please Rumi," I begged gently," Just—hear me out."

Her eyes flared as she struggled with my grip," Don't 'please Rumi' me! I can't believe you!"

She switched our places, and I was the one being pinned on the wall now, as she glared daggers at me. Her legs pressed onto mine, her forearm under my chin. But her right hand was still locked onto mine. It was terrifying.

"Why, Lloyd?", she said angrily at me," What are you hiding?"

"I'm not hiding anything, I promise!", I said frantically," Just hear me out—that's all I'm asking."

She narrowed her eyes, then, with a heavy sigh, she let me go.

"The others are waiting", she mumbled, not looking at me,"You can explain later—after training."

"Rumi..."I said, slowly reaching toward her hand, but she pulled away.

"Stop", she snapped,"Save it for someone who cares", was all she said, then running away.

I stood , frozen, as the flashback played in my head.

You were right, Harumi said, This isn't me.

Stop, I said, crossing my arms as I stared at her coldly, Save it for someone who cares.

Her face twisted into a torn and broken expression, but I stood there, not taking anything back from what I just said.

I switched to the present, and it clicked.

Rumi felt—betrayed. By me. After everything we've been through, I still lied to her.

But you were just trying to protect her!, a voice in my head screamed, And the others! You love her—and you don't want her in danger's way! Is that wrong?

I shook myself from my thoughts, running towards the courtyard. Darn it—I messed everything up now.

As I entered the courtyard, the others were just stretching and warming up for the session.

"Finally!", Kai said, coming over to me,"What took you so long?"

I didn't answer, but just looked over Harumi, who leaned sideways on a pillar, her face dull.

Kai followed my gaze and then looked back to me, his face instantly looking worried.

"What happened?", he whispered to me.

"Nothing", I mumbled, fidgeting with my sword handle.

There was a mild silence between us, till Kai asked the most ridiculous question.

"Did you...ask her out?",Kai asked, his face serious.

"What?No!", I said, shocked,"Why would I do that?"

His face looked unamused,"Because you like her—that's why."

I lowered my head to the floor.

Kai put his hand on my shoulder,"Hey, it's okay. Whatever it is—just talk about it. I promise I won't judge."