Chapter 36

Harumi's POV

I had to find a way out of here...I need to help Lloyd and the others escape...but how?

For what seemed like forever, I paced—and paced. For hours long. I could tell that it had been hours from the plain clock hanging at the top center of the wall. I didn't care. I had to find a way out of this. For the ninjas' sake...

I groaned, running my hands across my face and hair in frustration. Think Harumi. Think!

My eyes jumped around the sight of the plain purple-themed room—and the...my former Quiet One robe lay on my bed, completely untouched, I shuddered, taking a deep breath before pacing again.

"You not changing clothes is pretty unhygienic you know—you better change."

I whipped my head to the sound and sure enough—in the doorway stood Kane Blackwood. Not this idiot. I groaned internally.

"What.do.you.want," I said, teeth clenched, fists raised, and ready for anything.

He rolled his eyes," I knew you'd get this keyed up and decided to not bring any weapons—just in case you don't make any...unnecessary issues."

My eyes glinted and I smirked," I have no idea what you're talking about."

Kane's expression straightened, and he formed a glare.

"I know what you're doing princess", Kane grunted," I can see your fragile mind working through possibilities of escaping with your friends—and let me save you up for the work—there is no escape."

I glared back, fists clenched tightly. He straightened his robe, glancing at my tense posture.

"This would work better for the both of us if you would just cooperate," Kane said, folding his arms.

My mind skittered to a halt. Cooperate?

"Cooperate?", I echoed," I don't understand what you mean."

His eyes turned to the Quiet One robes behind me, and then back to me," Oh you certainly know what I mean."

My eyes widened, and a gust of air escaped from my lips.

Anger boiled inside me, but I bottled it—saving it for another time.

"And you certainly know my answer", I replied coldly,"No. I advise you to cooperate with my decision—before people in this ship hear you screaming like a child—unless...if that's what you want?" I tooted my head, my nails gridding my knuckles.

Kane muttered something like 'Dramatic ninja princesses.' And frowned at me tiredly.

"You're not backing out from this—are you?", Kane asked, eyebrow raised.

I just stared at him mutely.

"Okay! Okay", he waved his hands away from my glaring gaze," Yikes—no wonder they call you the Quiet One—but know this...this", he gestured to the robes," We'll be waiting for you in time." He gazed at me and I shook my head.

I will never hurt innocents like I had before," I said, my eyes stung," I will never make the foolish mistakes I made before—I'm not joining you. End of story."

"As I said—things change—and you'll learn to see that perspective is overrated, princess—because when you inflict pain on others because of your own demons...", Kane paused, blue eyes flickering to mine," Let's just say that the past..will always find a way of repeating itself."

My eyes widened. Could...that ever happen..to me?

"Kane", my voice softened from its rock-hard tone," Listen to me—don't do this—whatever you're doing...I have a feeling...it's really bad and is NOT going to end well—for both of our sides...and...you're making the same mistakes I did."