chapter fifty

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 lab with her arms crossed while going through the computer

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 lab with her arms crossed while going through the computer. "All our work is gone," Bruce said and she glanced up at him briefly. "Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

"Ultron," Steve repeated, shaking his head and looking over Grace's shoulder at the computer.

"He's been in everything," Adelaide said from another computer. "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other. That's just freaky..."

"He's in your files," Grace added. "He's in the internet. Tell me, what if he decides to access something that's a little more exciting?"

Maria nodded. "Nuclear codes."

"Nuclear codes," Grace agreed, pointing at the brunette.

"Look, we need to make some calls," Rhodey said, standing next to Grace. "Assuming we still can."

Natasha furrowed her brows. "Nukes?" she repeated. "He said he wanted us dead."

"He didn't say dead," Steve argued with a shake of his head. "He said extinct."

"He also said he killed somebody," Adelaide piped up, standing in between Grace and Steve. "But there wasn't anybody else in the building. Everybody else had gone home by that point."

"Yes, there was," Tony said with a sigh and he brought up the 3D image of JARVIS' consciousness. Grace's eyes widened at the sight.

"This is insane," Bruce muttered in disbelief.

Steve crossed his arms. "JARVIS was the first line of defense," he said. "He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense."

Bruce shook his head. "No, Ultron could've assimilated JARVIS. This isn't strategy, this is... rage."

Suddenly, Thor barged into the room and grabbed Tony by the throat, lifting him in the air. "Woah, woah, Thor." Grace hurried over to the two.

"Come on," Tony strained. "Use your words, buddy."

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark," Thor spat, still holding him in the air by his throat.

"Thor!" Steve said, getting his attention. "The Legionnaire."

Thor let go of Tony and Grace helped him to his feet. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north," he replied. "And it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it. Again."

Natasha shook her head. "The genie's out of that bottle. Clear and present is Ultron."

"I don't understand," Dr. Cho said. "You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

Grace looked over when she heard Tony start to laugh and she slapped the back of his head. "You think this is funny?" Thor questioned.

"No, it's probably not, right?" he replied and Grace rolled her eyes. "Is this very terrible? Is it so... is it so... it is. It's so terrible."