chapter fifty-six

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐓𝐎 Steve while he had the Accords open in front of them

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐓𝐎 Steve while he had the Accords open in front of them. If they had to make a decision about the future of the Avengers, they should at least try and be educated. She laid her head on his shoulder as he turned the page and glanced behind her at Sam and Rhodey arguing.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor," Rhodey told Sam. "Which is one more than you have."

"So let's say we agree to this thing," Sam said, crossing his arms. "How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"A 117 countries want to sign this," Rhodey reminded the man in exasperation. "117, Sam and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it.'"

Sam scoffed. "How long are you going to play both sides?" he asked.

"I have an equation," Vision said and Grace looked at him. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially." Grace glanced at her nephew and furrowed her brows at his expression. "And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked, looking at the entity.

"I'm saying there may be a causality," he corrected. "Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incited conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe. Oversight... oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

Rhodey pointed at Vision with a nod. "Boom."

Grace looked over at Tony. "You're unusually quiet over there."

"It's because he's already made up his mind," Steve said.

"Boy, you know me so well," Tony replied sarcastically, standing up from his chair and rubbing his head. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's discomfort." He looked down in the sink. "Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

An image of a young man was projected and Tony looked at it. "Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way," he said, pretending to have noticed it for the first time. "He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do." Grace tilted her head; he would. "He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where? Sokovia."

Grace sighed and glanced back at the Accords in Steve's hands. "He wanted to make a difference, I suppose," Tony continued. "I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check!" Adelaide crossed her arms and looked at him. "Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."