chapter five

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐉𝐔𝐌𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 sound of a large object being placed in a hole in the ground, Howard directing it

"What on earth is that?" she asked her older brother, watching the machine being lowered by a rope. It hovered in the air as it was tied to poles.

"The submarine that the Hydra agent tried to escape in," Howard replied, jumping into the workspace beside the submarine. "I don't get it. We're nowhere near this kind of machinery."

Grace looked under the machine and frowned. "Who puts knives under a propeller? Were they trying to kill any fish that was in the Hudson River?" she asked, looking up at her brother before kneeling down to get a better look. "Howard..."

"What?"

"You weren't kidding about this technology," she said, looking at the submarine, impressed. "Our little gadgets look silly next to this."

"You're telling me," Howard sighed, leaning back in exasperation. "Did you ever show Phillips your inventions?"

"We got a little distracted," Grace said. "But it'll happen at some point. In the meantime, we need to figure out how the hell they managed to make a machine this impressive."

Howard shrugged. "They probably have resources we can only dream of."

"Says Howard Stark," Grace said with a chuckle. She looked over when she saw her brother shake his hand in pain after getting his fingers trapped in a door. "I am not kissing it to make it feel better. I will tell you that right now."

Howard rolled his eyes when Colonel Phillips walked in with Senator Brandt. "Colonel, my committee is demanding answers," Brandt said.

"Great," Phillips replied with mock enthusiasm. "Why don't we start with how a German spy got a ride to my secret installation in your car?" Brandt frowned and was effectively shut up. Phillips nodded and turned to the Stark siblings. "What've we got?"

"Well, speaking modestly, I'd say I'm the best mechanical engineer in the country..." Howard said and Grace nodded, not even arguing with that statement. "However, neither of us have an idea what any of this is or how it works."

"We're nowhere near capable of this technology," Grace added, seeing Steve and Peggy walk in out of the corner of her eye.

"Then who is?" Senator Brandt asked.

"Hydra," Phillips said and Brandt simply stared at him blankly. "I'm sure you've read our briefings."

"I'm on a number of committees, Colonel."

Peggy let out a breath and walked over to them. "Hydra is the Nazi deep science division. It's led by Doctor Erskine's first test subject, Johann Schmidt."

Phillips nodded. "Hydra's practically a cult. They worship Schmidt, think he's invincible."

"So what are you going to do about it?" Brandt asked.