chapter thirty-five

"𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐋𝐘 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐍 to me why Earth has become the fighting ground to your family quarrels?" Grace asked, walking into the briefing room following Nick's interrogation of Loki

Thor looked over at the brunette woman, mildly confused. "I'm sorry?"

"You and your brother," she replied in annoyance. "Just a few months ago, you destroyed a town in New Mexico. You sent seven of my agents to the hospital, most of whom are still recovering from the severe concussions you gave them. And not to mention, the symbol on the ground where your sparkly thing appeared, it's still there. Now your brother is here and I'm not happy about that."

"I can assure you that no harm will come to your people," Thor told her and she nodded, letting out a breath. "I can put an end to Loki's schemes."

"Well... harm has already come to my people," Grace said, shaking her head at the God. "Agent Barton has been put under his control since he arrived on Earth. He's my people."

Grace turned when she felt a hand on her shoulder. "Yelling at him isn't going to do anyone any good," Steve told her and she sighed.

"Fine."

Grace sat down on the chair next to Steve and crossed her arms. "Loki's gonna drag this out," Steve said. "So, Thor, what's his play?"

"He has an army called the Chitauri," Thor replied. "They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

"An army?" Steve repeated. "From outer space."

"So he's building another portal," Bruce said with a nod. "That's what he needs Erik Selvig for."

"Selvig?"

Bruce looked at Thor. "He's an astrophysicist."

"Oh, they have a history," Grace said, nodding.

"He's a friend," Thor added.

"Loki has him under some kind of spell," Natasha informed the God. "Along with our guy."

"I wanna know why Loki let us take him," Steve said and Grace held her head in her hand. "He's not leading an army from here."

Bruce shook his head. "I don't think we should be focusing on Loki," he argued. "That guy's brain is a bag full of cats, you could smell crazy on him."

"Have care how you speak," Thor warned the scientist. "Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard, and he's my brother."

Natasha looked at him. "He killed eighty people in two days."

Thor paused. "He's adopted."

Grace slumped and leaned her head on Steve's shoulder. "I think it's about the mechanics," Bruce said. "Iridium, what did they need the Iridium for?"