chapter forty-six

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐓 Steve as they walked up the stairs toward the Project Insight control room

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐓 Steve as they walked up the stairs toward the Project Insight control room. "Have I ever mentioned how much I like that uniform?" she asked and he looked back at her. "It really brings out your eyes."

"Hmm." He nodded, looking down at the uniform he had taken from the Smithsonian; the one he wore during the war. "And it has nothing to do with the fact that you were the one that designed it?"

She shrugged with a smile while Adelaide looked between the two with Maria and Sam. "Are they flirting?" she asked them. "Are they flirting while we're about to take down an organization?"

"We can hear you, you know. We're old, not deaf," Grace said, looking back at Adelaide who smiled sheepishly at her. She turned back to the door and knocked. An agent opened the door and she smiled. "Excuse us, gentlemen. We're gonna need to use this room."

"I'm sorry?"

Grace sighed. "Don't make them pull out their guns," she told him, gesturing to Adelaide and Maria who had their hand on their weapons. The agent stepped to the side and she smiled. "Thank you." She moved over to the computer, her dark brown hair falling over her shoulder. She looked over at Steve. "The microphone is yours, Captain."

He let out a breath and leaned down on the table beside her. "Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers," he started. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down." Grace looked at the security footage, seeing a group of agents listening in the control room. "But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you.

"They almost have what they want: absolute control," Steve continued, glancing at Grace who nodded. "They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Grace clicked off the microphone while Sam looked at him. "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" he asked and Grace chuckled softly.

"Well..." she said, turning to the computer screen and cracking her knuckles. "Shall we see how influential you are?"

As she typed on the keyboard, Brock Rumlow's voice echoed around the room. "Preempt the launch sequence. Send those ships up now." The tech agent hesitated and Grace tilted her head. "Is there a problem?"

"I..."

"Is there a problem?" Rumlow repeated, this time with more force.

"I'm sorry, sir," the agent said, taking nervous breaths. "I'm not gonna launch those ships." Grace grabbed Steve's arm, watching the screen. "Captain's orders."