chapter twenty

"𝐎𝐇, 𝐌𝐀'𝐀𝐌, 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐍𝐎𝐓 permitted to go up there

"𝐎𝐇, 𝐌𝐀'𝐀𝐌, 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐍𝐎𝐓 permitted to go up there."

Grace paused at the door and turned to look at the young woman standing behind a desk. "And may I ask why?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Security clearance," the woman replied and the brunette nodded to herself. "Only the Director himself can give security clearance."

Grace pursed her lips and walked forward. "Uh-huh. And, um, did the director ever give you a list of people cleared to go up to the floor?"

The woman shrugged and looked down at the piece of paper. "Just Agent Phil Coulson, Agent Maria Hill, and one of the founders. And he mentioned that I should alert him if the founder ever arrived."

Grace hummed and nodded. "Would you mind just looking at the photograph behind you?" she asked, pointing behind the woman. "Just on the wall there."

"Um, it's a picture of the... founders..." she trailed off before looking between the photograph and Grace. "Oh, Miss Stark, I am so sorry. I didn't realize it was you. Director Fury is waiting for you. He's just finished a meeting with the Council."

Grace smiled. "Thank you." She turned back to the young agent. "Don't feel bad. It's good you were cautious. You never know who could come through the door." She gave the woman a reassuring smile before stepping inside the elevator.

"Miss Stark."

"Agent Rumlow."

"What brings you to SHIELD, Miss Stark?" he asked and she looked over at him. "It's just that we hardly ever see you unless it's something important."

"Oh, you know..." The elevator doors opened and she stepped off. "Stuff... Enjoy your day, Agent Rumlow."

Various agents greeted the brunette as she walked through the halls, the heels of her shoes clicking with every step. Some agents stopped in their steps, having never seen the founder in person before.

Despite being very involved at the beginning of the program, Grace stepped away from active leadership many years ago. She hadn't wanted to spend the rest of her ageless life doing the same task over and over again. Which was how she found—

"Director Fury."

The tall man whose trench coat went to his ankles and an eyepatch that covered his left eye turned at the mention of his name.

"Miss Stark," he greeted and she walked over to him with a small smile spreading across her face. "Thank you for coming."

"I have to admit, you make me nervous anytime you call," she said, sitting in the chair across from him. "It's so rare that something horrible must have happened for you to call me. What is it this time, Nick?"

"We have a new recruit," he replied and she quirked an eyebrow upward.

"That's it?" she asked with a frown. "You've never called me about a recruit before. What makes this one so special?"