chapter fifty-three

"𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍 you're with Fury?" Adelaide asked on the phone while she, Steve, and the Maximoff twins made their way back to Avengers Tower

"𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍 you're with Fury?" Adelaide asked on the phone while she, Steve, and the Maximoff twins made their way back to Avengers Tower. "Why are you with him?" Steve glanced at her while she sighed. "Well, yes, I do know that you've known him for years, but that doesn't—" She pressed her lips together. "Yeah, okay, hold on."

She looked up and Steve raised his eyebrows. "Well?"

"Grace said that you need to learn how to answer your phone," Adelaide replied and Steve frowned. "I believe her exact words were 'if he sees my contact appear on the phone, he needs to answer'."

"Well, what if I was in the middle of a fight?" he asked and she shrugged. "Ask her that. If I was in the middle of a fight, am I supposed to pause and answer the phone?"

"I'm not getting in the middle of you two!" Adelaide exclaimed, covering the receiver of her phone. "Because if I had to take a side, I'm taking hers."

Steve nodded. "Yeah, I already knew that..."

"Do the two of you always bicker with each other like this?" Pietro asked making the two blondes look at him. "It doesn't seem to be a good plan, does it?"

Adelaide frowned and turned back to her phone. "I gotta go, Gracie. A speedy man is pissing me off." She crossed her arms and looked at the Maximoff. "Listen here, speedy, you're in no position to judge, okay? Your sister did some weird magic to us and I can guarantee that most, if not all, of the people inside that building are gonna be pretty freaking pissed to see the two of you. So, if I were you, I'd keep your mouth shut and sit quietly."

She turned on her heel and walked into the building. Steve watched her go before looking at Pietro. "Somehow you've managed to make her angry. I don't think I've ever seen her angry before."

"So...?"

"So I think you better do what she said," Steve replied, following Adelaide into the building with the twins behind him. When they arrived, it was to find Tony and Bruce experimenting on the cradle that Clint had brought back. Unfortunately, Natasha had been taken by Ultron. "I'm gonna say this once."

Tony tilted his head. "How about 'nonce'?"

"Shut it down!" Steve snapped and Tony shook his head.

"Nope, not gonna happen."

Adelaide rolled her eyes. "Why are you doing this, Tony? Haven't you messed things up enough with making Ultron?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"You don't know what you're doing," Steve added and Bruce raised his eyebrows.

"And you do?" he questioned before gesturing at Wanda. "She's not in your head?"

Adelaide shrugged. "Told you..." she muttered under her breath.

"I know you're angry—"

"Oh, we're way past that," Bruce said, cutting off Wanda in anger. "I could choke the life out of you and never change a shade."