chapter fifty-one

𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐒 while staring at the Maximoff twins

𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐒 while staring at the Maximoff twins. "You know, I'm really trying to give you guys the benefit of the doubt, but when you do things like this, it makes it kinda hard."

"You two can still walk away from this," Steve told them from beside Adelaide.

Wanda nodded. "Oh, we will."

"I know you've suffered—"

Ultron groaned and Adelaide raised her eyebrows at the machine that interrupted the soldier. "Captain America. God's righteous man, pretending you could live without a war. I can't physically throw up in my mouth, but..."

"Oh, just shut up, you stupid piece of machinery," Adelaide said, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms over her chest. "If you really believe in peace, then we don't need to be doing this."

"I think, little girl, you're confusing peace with quiet," Ultron contradicted and she squeaked in annoyance.

"'Little girl'?" she repeated indignantly. "I am the same age as them." She pointed at the Maximoff twins before scoffing. "Little girl..."

"Addy."

She looked up at Steve and cleared her throat. "Sorry..."

Tony nodded, turning back to his robot. "What's the vibranium for?" he asked.

"I'm glad you asked that," Ultron said, in mock glee. "Because I wanted to take this time to explain my evil plan—"

Suddenly, Ultron attacked Tony and his drones began attacking Adelaide, Steve, and Thor as the twins joined the fight.

"Well, that's just rude," Adelaide huffed, running after Pietro. "Why on earth am I chasing the fastest man I've ever met? This sounds like a death wish..."

"Do you know that you talk a lot?" A voice behind Adelaide made her turn around and saw Pietro leaning against the wall with a smirk on his face. "It kind of goes against the purpose of being stealthy, don't you think?"

She shook her head. "Nobody asked you," she retorted, crossing her arms. "Why are you doing this? Is there a purpose to all of this?"

Pietro shrugged. "You should ask Stark."

"Which one?"

"Either," he replied shortly before zooming away.

Before Adelaide could say another word, she felt a presence behind her and saw Wanda, her eyes glowing red. "What are you—?" She turned around as the scenery around her changed and she saw a couple sitting at a kitchen island. "Grace?" she asked, walking closer to the pair. "Steve?"

"Have you been stuck in your head again, honey?" Adelaide furrowed her brows at the voice as a blonde woman appeared in front of her. "Grace and Steve don't exist. It's only us."