chapter four

𝐏𝐄𝐆𝐆𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 Steve in the car

𝐏𝐄𝐆𝐆𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 Steve in the car. It was a big day; the procedure was happening today. The course of the war could change if everything went well and the man who could change history was sitting right beside her.

"Are you nervous?" she asked, looking over at him. He had been looking outside the window and turned when he heard her voice.

"Not really," he replied, shaking his head. "I surprisingly got a pep talk yesterday, so I'm feeling alright."

"A pep talk?" Peggy repeated, furrowing her brow. "From who?"

"Grace," he said. Peggy raised her eyebrows and looked out the window. "I don't know how she can think so positively of me when she barely knows me."

"Grace has that effect on people," Peggy told him with a smile. "Though, she has trouble being positive about herself. She tends to focus more on other people than herself."

"Why?"

The brunette shrugged. "It's just how she is." She looked over at Steve. "You two are more similar than you'd know. That's a good thing, might I add. Grace is the best person I've ever met."

"I'd love to get to know her more," Steve said.

Peggy smiled as the car stopped outside of an antique store. "Then you have impeccable timing, it would seem. This is it."

Steve followed her out of the car and he looked around, confused. "Why did we stop here?" he asked the agent.

"I love a bargain," she replied simply before walking inside. Steve followed her, still incredibly confused. The bell above the door rang and an older woman greeted them from behind the counter.

"Lovely weather this morning, isn't it?" she smiled.

Peggy nodded. "Yes, but I always carry an umbrella."

The woman eyed them before pressing a button under her counter. Peggy led Steve over to a bookshelf that quickly turned into a door. Steve glanced at Peggy and she walked inside. There was a marine guarding the door and he saluted as they passed.

Grace was standing with Colonel Phillips in the observation booth when the lab went silent. Everyone looked down to see Steve had arrived with Peggy and a light shone in his face. Grace rolled her eyes. "Just say he's a lab rat, why don't you," she muttered to herself.

She saw him take off his shirt, tie, and hat and handed them to a nurse. She turned away when she heard Phillips' voice.

"Senator Brandt," he said, shaking his hand. "Glad you could make it."

"Why exactly am I in Brooklyn, Colonel?" the senator asked and Grace internally rolled her eyes at the man. He was the exact type of person she despised. A man with an unlimited amount of power who abused it. Or, more specifically, used it as reasoning.