chapter twenty-four

𝐈𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 thing to know about Grace Stark, it was how protective she was over her nephew

𝐈𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 thing to know about Grace Stark, it was how protective she was over her nephew. She promised herself the moment he was placed in her arms when he was born that she would protect him from any dangers the world would throw at him.

Which was when she got an urgent phone call from Pepper that she hadn't been able to reach Tony, she immediately started to panic.

She was sitting with Rhodey in his car going through every worst-case scenario in her mind. "Pepper, what do you mean that Stane paid to have Tony killed?" she asked while holding the phone on speaker. "Pepper, slow down. I don't know what you're saying."

"Why would Obadiah..." Rhodey let out a breath and nodded. "Okay, where's Tony now? Because I have a very anxious aunt of his in my car right now."

"I don't know," Pepper replied. "He's not answering his phone. Please go over there and make sure everything's okay."

Grace took the phone off speaker and brought it up to her ear just as Rhodey quickly turned the car around. "Pepper, put Agent Coulson on the line."

"Why—?"

"Just do it!" She let out a breath when she heard his voice on the other end of the call. "Agent Coulson, you will do whatever Miss Potts says, do you understand me? I need my nephew to come home alive. That's an order, Agent."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And I don't care what forces you have to use, arrest that son of a bitch. Bring him into custody."

"Of course, ma'am."

Grace nodded to herself and glanced at Rhodey. "He'll be okay, Grace," he told her and she pursed her lips. "He'll be okay."

Her foot did not stop bouncing for the entire ride to Tony's mansion and as soon as the car stopped, both Grace and Rhodey were running into the house. She quickly hurried down to his lab with Rhodey right behind her and she stopped in the doorway. "Oh, my God." She knelt beside her extremely pale nephew and rolled him over. "Hey, hey."

He took her by the shoulders. "Where's Pepper?"

"Safe," she reassured him, cupping his cheek. "She's with trustworthy people, I promise. They're about to arrest Obadiah."

"That's not going to be enough."

Grace sighed and helped him to his feet. "And to think I called him a friend..."

Rhodey helped Tony over to his workstation while Grace was on the phone with Phil. Tony started putting on his suit and Rhodey watched him. "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen."

"Not bad, huh? Let's do it." Tony shot a blast from his hand at a nearby crushed car, sending it to the wall, and looked back at the two.

"You need me to do anything else?" Rhodey asked him and Grace hung up from her phone call.