chapter one

𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊 𝐂𝐈𝐓𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 the bustling metropolis of the country

𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊 𝐂𝐈𝐓𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 the bustling metropolis of the country. With its many shops, businesses, and people, it seemed there was always something to do, something to see, someone to meet.

In a quiet street of the city lay a small bar tucked away between a laundromat and a shoemaker. Inside the bar were very few occupants. Two men sat at a table near the door, laughing heartily — and drunkenly.

A short distance from them sat a young woman at the bar. She drank her entire drink in a single gulp earning an impressed look from the bartender.

"Another, miss?" he asked in a thick Irish accent.

She nodded when a flyer near her caught her eye. Stark Expo was written across the top and its varying information was just below.

"Ah, do you like science, then, miss?" the bartender asked, setting her drink in front of her

The young woman tossed aside the flyer and looked up with a small smile. "I suppose you could say that," she shrugged, playing with her drink.

"Not teaching?"

She glanced upward at him. "Is that all you think a woman is capable of doing?" she retorted before downing the rest of her drink and throwing bills on the counter. "Sir, the times are changing. You may want to change with them." She opened the door. "Oh, and..." She turned back to the bartender with a smile. "You make a good martini."

She walked outside into the still street that offered an escape from the normally loud city. She strolled alongside the sidewalks, peeking inside the many shop windows. She would continuously pass several flyers for the Stark Expo as though somebody had simply thrown a pile onto the sidewalk and called it a day. It felt as though the words were haunting her.

She passed a movie theater and considered going inside to see what they offered only to hear a loud crash come from the alley behind the theater. She peered around the corner to see a man getting punched repeatedly by a much larger man. The smaller of the two held up a trash can lid as if it was a shield, though it did nothing and he was once again punched causing her to wince at the sight.