chapter twelve

𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄, Grace Stark always felt like she was inferior to her older brother

𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄, Grace Stark always felt like she was inferior to her older brother. It didn't matter what she did, it seemed as though she could never compete with the man famous for his inventions and personality. All the girls wanted him and all the men wanted to be him. He was rich, he was famous, and he had girls swooning at his feet left and right.

As for Grace, she was perfectly content on finding one man and spending the rest of her life with that one person. She thought she had found it in Steve Rogers, but when his plane went down over the Arctic, that possibility went with him.

Howard made good on his promise to his younger sister and never stopped looking for the Captain. But no matter how much he searched the underwater, Steve could not be found. And slowly, Grace began to lose hope.

Now, it was almost a year after the war had ended and Grace was trying to find a purpose to her life again. Like one she had when she was supplying weapons to the Army. She had limited contact with Peggy who had remained with the SSR following the end of the war, but was reduced to doing desk work and ordering lunch for the men.

Howard seemed to have vanished, often leaving Grace alone in their large New York house. Jarvis appeared to be the only company the young inventor had, which she was thankful for, but she was capable of finding things that filled her interests. She didn't need to depend on anyone to help her.

Most days, Grace holed herself up in her makeshift lab in the house, working on new inventions that would never see the light of day. There wasn't any need for them with no war.

Grace let out a breath, seeing the headline on the front page of the newspaper that Jarvis had brought her while she was making her coffee. 𝙲𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙰𝙸𝙽 𝙰𝙼𝙴𝚁𝙸𝙲𝙰 𝙰𝙻𝙻𝚈 𝚈𝙴𝚃 𝚃𝙾 𝙴𝚇𝙿𝙻𝙰𝙸𝙽 𝚆𝙴𝙰𝙿𝙾𝙽𝚂 𝚂𝙰𝙻𝙴. She moved to the next paper. 𝚂𝚃𝙰𝚁𝙺 𝙵𝙰𝙸𝙻𝚂 𝚃𝙾 𝙲𝙾𝙽𝚅𝙸𝙽𝙲𝙴: 𝚃𝙷𝙸𝚁𝙳 𝙳𝙰𝚈 𝙾𝙵 𝚃𝙴𝚂𝚃𝙸𝙼𝙾𝙽𝚈 𝙴𝚇𝙿𝙴𝙲𝚃𝙴𝙳.

"Oh, Howard..." she sighed, tossing the paper aside. "What did you do?"

"Ah, Miss Stark." Grace looked up, hearing the British accent of her brother's loyal butler. "There's someone for you at the door."

"Who?"

"They say they're here on matters regarding Mr. Stark," Jarvis replied and Grace sighed, following him out of the dining room to the front door where two men — a brunette and a blonde — were standing.

"Gentlemen," she greeted, walking over to the open door. "Please, come in."

"Thank you," the brunette smiled.

The blonde pulled out his ID. "Miss Stark, I'm Agent Jack Thompson, and this is Agent Daniel Sousa with the SSR. We're here to ask you questions about your brother."