chapter twenty-seven

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐄 heard her alarm go off and she threw her pillow at it, hearing the crash

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐄 heard her alarm go off and she threw her pillow at it, hearing the crash. She rolled over and covered her head with another pillow. There was a knock at her front door and she peaked out her head from underneath the covers in confusion. The knocking continued and she sighed.

She wrapped a sweater around her frame and threw her dark brown locks into a messy bun. She passed by a mirror and wrinkled her nose. "I look like death warmed over," she commented to herself before shrugging. "Oh, well."

Rubbing her eyes, Grace opened her front door and was greeted with the sight of a man in a suit. "Grace Stark?"

She furrowed her brow. "Yes?" she replied apprehensively. "Is there a reason you're standing on my front step at seven in the morning?"

"I've been awake since four," the man said and she nodded slowly.

"Well, good for you," she replied, crossing her arms. "Who are you and why are you standing on my front step at seven in the morning?"

The man cleared his throat. "Ma'am, we've been aware that prior to his death, you were in a relationship with Steve Rogers."

Grace knitted her brows together. "What?"

"Captain America—"

Grace nodded. "Yeah, I know who he is, thank you," she said with a sigh. "My confusion is mostly because nobody has ever cared before. Well, my nephew seemed a little annoyed when my brother wouldn't stop talking about him. I think Howard accidentally told him we had been in a relationship. I still don't think he's over it. But other than that, nobody else really cared, seeing as a majority didn't know."

"Ma'am, I'm from the Smithsonian," the man introduced himself, holding out his hand which Grace shook, still confused. "We have been digging through the Army's archive files and very briefly it was mentioned that you and Captain Rogers were together."

Grace blinked. "I didn't know that the Army cared enough to write that down."

"Which is why I'm here," the man continued and she furrowed her brow. "Would you mind if I came in? I have a packet I'd like to show you."

Grace shrugged and opened the door wider. "Sure. I'm too tired to say no." The man walked inside and over to her dining room table. Meanwhile, Grace made herself a pot of coffee. "Would you like something to drink, Mr...?"

"Abrams," he replied and shook his head. "No, thank you, ma'am. I'm strictly here on business."

Grace nodded and walked over to the table with her coffee in hand. "Yeah. And what business is that, exactly?"

Mr. Abrams held out a packet to her which she took and opened. "We're designing an exhibit dedicated to Captain Rogers' service and sacrifice," he explained as she scanned over the plans. "How he took the serum. The rescue missions he had completed as well as all of the times he eliminated Hydra bases."