chapter forty-five

"𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 this?" Steve asked Grace for the hundredth time and she sighed

"𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 this?" Steve asked Grace for the hundredth time and she sighed. "We can just have Sam to do it. He seemed pretty eager to do it."

"Steve." She turned around and put her hands on his shoulder. "I love you for worrying about me, but he can't do anything to me in public. Even if SHIELD has been compromised, he has to be nice to me to keep up his charade."

"I just don't want you to get hurt."

She sighed and kissed his cheek. "I've been through much, much worse. And I'm still here, aren't I? Let me do this."

Steve let out a breath. "Okay. But Sam is your backup just in case." She nodded and he kissed her. "And be safe."

"I always am."

A short time later, Grace was standing in front of a restaurant, scanning the area for the man she needed to find.

"Ah, Agent Sitwell," she said, walking over to the man who immediately turned when he heard her voice. "How was lunch? I've always heard good things about the soup here."

"G—Grace. I mean... Miss Stark," he stuttered out and she crossed her arms. "What a pleasant surprise."

"I'm sure," she replied in a bored tone. She glanced at the men behind Sitwell. "Would you gentlemen excuse us for a moment? I have things I'd like to discuss with Agent Sitwell that I don't think he wants people to overhear."

The men nodded and moved down the stairs just as Grace turned back to Sitwell with a sweet smile. "Th—Things to discuss?" he asked and she nodded. "What kind of things?"

"You're acting awfully nervous, Agent Sitwell," she said, tilting her head at the man. "You've always been a man of great confidence. Is something worrying you?"

"No." He cleared his throat and shook his head. "Not at all. What can I do for you, Miss Stark?"

"You have a meeting you're going to be late for," she said with a smile. "Down the corner to your right, there's a gray car, two spaces down. You and a friend are gonna take a ride."

"I'm sorry?"

Grace shook her head. "You really are slow at grasping concepts today, so let me make it easier for you," she said, stepping to the side. "You're going to get into the gray car that's two spaces down. You're gonna meet with a friend of mine. And if you don't..." She looked down at the man's tie. "Well, your tie is gonna be ruined. And I'm not paying to replace it." He followed her gaze and saw a red laser pointing directly at him. "The choice is yours, Agent Sitwell."

She smiled sweetly at his nerves as he walked away in the direction of the parked car. Just as she was about to text Steve that the plan could continue, she felt someone gently grab her shoulder and she looked up quickly.

"I'm sorry," Maria apologized and Grace put a hand over her racing heart. "I didn't mean to scare you. I've been looking everywhere for you."

Grace furrowed her brows. "If it's about SHIELD, I already know about that," she said, looking back down at her phone.