chapter six

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐈𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓?!"

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐈𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓?!"

Howard flinched at his sister's booming voice while she stared at him. Grace had been working on a new weapon for the troops when Colonel Phillips walked into her tent asking if she had seen her brother recently. Only then did she discover that he had vanished along with Peggy.

"You mean to tell me that you flew into enemy territory in an aircraft so Steve could rescue his best friend?" she asked, crossing her arms. "And then you casually mention that you were shot at?"

"I didn't get killed," Howard defended, shrugging his shoulders. Grace glared at him and he shrunk back. "Look, Gracie, I'm okay."

"You aren't a soldier, Howard," Grace said, shaking her head. "You're a scientist. You're meant to stay behind the lines where you're safe."

"Gracie, I had to help," he told her, stepping closer. "When Peggy came to me, I just knew that I had to go with them."

"Did I ever cross your mind?" she asked, preventing him from continuing. He looked at her.

"What?"

"When Peggy came to you, did the thought of your sister ever cross your mind?" she asked again, crossing her arms. "Well? Did I?"

"I..."

"Did it never occur to you that I might not have wanted you to go?" she continued, shaking her head. "Do you think I might have wanted you to stay here where I know you're safe?"

"Gracie, I..." Howard let out a breath. "I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

"Seems to be a specialty of yours..." she said, walking out of the tent. Howard scoffed and followed her.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You know exactly what that means," she replied, still walking away. Howard grabbed her arm and turned her around. "Does Europe ring any bells? Maybe when I was sixteen and you were eighteen? Hmm?"

"Oh, come on... Gracie, I apologized."

"I never forgave you," Grace told him, shaking her head. "Two years of that shit and you think that 'sorry' is enough to make it go away. It's gonna take a lot more than that." She ran a hand through her hair. "You want to fly into danger, be my guest. Just leave me to bury the only family I have left," she said, her voice breaking.

"Gracie... Grace!"

Grace wiped the stray tears from her cheek before walking into Colonel Phillips' tent. He looked over as she approached his desk.

"Still nothing?" she asked, sitting in the chair in front of him. Peggy had taken some of her tracking technology to give to Steve without her knowledge. Therefore, when they were trying to get into contact with the super-soldier, she was the point of contact. She was the only one who understood the technology.