chapter thirty-seven

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐘 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐒 when Grace Stark wished she had a normal life

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐘 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐒 when Grace Stark wished she had a normal life. One where she could be living in a small house with a white picket fence and kids running around the yard giggling to their heart's content.

Unfortunately for her, her life was not normal. And this was one of the times when she regretted ever agreeing to found an organization with her brother.

Grace sat at the table in the helicarrier, her foot bouncing anxiously against the floor. When Nick suggested forming the Avengers, the thought that they would be fighting an army from outer space never once occurred to her. Then again, she also never thought that Steve would actually be alive and fighting said army.

Tony flew up to Stark Tower and landed in the penthouse. He turned around when he saw Loki walk in with the scepter and moved toward the bar.

"Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity," Loki said and Tony shook his head, pouring his drink into a glass.

"Uh... actually, I'm planning to threaten you."

Loki scoffed. "You should have left your armor on for that."

"Yeah, it's seen a bit of mileage," Tony said with a shrug. "You've got the blue stick of destiny. Would you like a drink?"

"Stalling me won't change anything."

Tony shook his head. "No, no, no! Threatening. No drink? You sure? I'm having one."

"The Chitauri are coming, nothing will change that," Loki said to the billionaire. "What have I to fear?"

"The Avengers." Loki looked at him in confusion. "It's what we call ourselves, sort of like a team. 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes' type of thing."

"Yes, I've met them."

Tony smiled. "Yeah, takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one," he agreed with a nod. "But, let's do a head count here. Your brother, the demigod; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend — don't tell my aunt that I said that about him; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins, and you big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them."

"That was the plan."

"Not a great plan," Tony said, shaking his head. "When they come, and they will, they'll come for you."

"I have an army."

"We have a Hulk."

Loki tilted his head to the side. "I thought the beast had wandered off."

"You're missing the point," Tony said, walking around the bar. "There's no throne, there is no version of this, where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't, you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it."