chapter forty

"𝐖𝐇𝐘 𝐄𝐗𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐀𝐌 𝐈 going shopping with you?" Steve asked, trailing behind Grace and Adelaide

"𝐖𝐇𝐘 𝐄𝐗𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐀𝐌 𝐈 going shopping with you?" Steve asked, trailing behind Grace and Adelaide. "You do know that I have minimal fashion sense, right?"

"Oh, but I thought the tight shirts were a choice," Adelaide said, looking back at the soldier who rolled his eyes. "Just because you're awake for the first time in seventy years doesn't mean that our girls' trips have to be canceled."

"And you love me," Grace added with a smile. "And I love Addy, so by proxy, you love her, too."

Steve let out a breath and narrowed his eyes at the two women. "You just brought me here to carry all your stuff, didn't you?"

"Would you be mad if we said yes?" Adelaide asked and he released a soft chuckle, shaking his head. She smiled and pulled him and Grace down the sidewalk. "Great! Because I don't know about you two, but I need coffee. And a donut."

Grace shared a smile with Steve and obliged the young blonde before seeing somebody bump into Steve. "Oh, I am so sorry!" the woman apologized, bending down to pick up her fallen handbag. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

"It's no worries at all," Steve assured her, helping her collect her belongings. "I wasn't looking around either."

The woman smiled at him before clearing her throat. "Are you... Are you Steve Rogers? I had heard you were in the Battle of New York. I remember learning about you in school."

"I don't know whether to be honored or to feel old," Steve replied and the woman let out a small laugh.

"Honored, I can assure you," she said with a smile. "Oh, uh, I'm Kennedy, by the way. Like the President. Who you were not around for..."

Steve pressed his lips in a line. "Don't worry, I read all about him."

Grace glanced between the two before clearing her throat. "Addy and I are gonna be inside when you're... finished." She let out a breath as she walked inside. "I just had to fall for somebody attractive, didn't I?"

"It really was very nice to meet you," Steve said to the woman. "But I already have plans, so, have a nice day."

"I hope I didn't overstep."

He shook his head. "No. Just... trying to make up for lost time. Have a nice day, Kennedy."

"If you haven't already," Kennedy said, stopping the man in his tracks and he let out a breath. "You should go to the Smithsonian's exhibit about you. It's very well done."

Steve nodded. "Thank you. I'm going to go now."

Kennedy watched as Steve disappeared into the cafe before smiling to herself. "Phase one, complete."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

"𝐀𝐃𝐃𝐘, 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 spent everything in my wallet," Grace said after walking out of the tenth store of the day. "I know I said I would take you shopping for your birthday, but Steve is struggling under the weight."