chapter thirty-eight

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐍 her bed, her arm draping over the left side of the bed when she lifted her head in confusion

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐍 her bed, her arm draping over the left side of the bed when she lifted her head in confusion. She patted the now-empty spot when she spotted a note sitting on the pillow.

Went for a run. I'll come back with breakfast.

Steve

Grace furrowed her brows and glanced at the alarm clock that sat on her nightstand. "It's five in the morning..." she said, stifling a yawn. "What the hell is wrong with him?"

She shrugged off the thought before returning to her side and falling into a deep sleep. Her alarm rang far too soon for her liking and she threw her pillow at it, hearing a crash from the metal. She covered her head with the covers when she paused, hearing a voice in the living room.

She found a sweatshirt in her closet and threw it over her pajamas before pulling her chocolate brown locks into a loose messy bun. She opened her bedroom door and wasn't entirely surprised to see Adelaide. However, she was surprised to see Adelaide lying on the floor red in the face.

"What happened to you?" Grace asked, walking over to the blonde who was fanning herself with her hand.

"I ran," Adelaide replied, still breathing heavily. "With a super soldier who seems to run four times faster than the average human."

Grace raised her eyebrows just as she heard the front door open and she turned to see Steve walking into the apartment with a flat box in one hand and a tray of drinks in the other.

"You broke Addy," Grace said, walking over to him and gesturing to the young agent still trying to catch her breath. "I love that you're making friends, just don't kill her from overrunning. I do need her alive for her job."

"She was offered the chance to stop," he defended, handing Grace her coffee before glancing at Adelaide. "She didn't take it. Please say I got your coffee order right. I didn't know there were so many options now. What happened to just... black coffee?"

Grace shrugged. "Flavors became a thing." She brought the cup to her lips and let the hot beverage travel down her throat while giving Steve a teasing look. "You're good," she said and he sighed in relief. "As long as you put something in it, I will drink it. Though, maybe not poison."

"And one iced vanilla latte with almond milk and the weird foam on top." Adelaide smiled and accepted the drink from the soldier. "You're the type of person I was talking about. What happened to black coffee?"

"It's too bitter. And hot," Adelaide replied, breaking apart a donut that Steve had brought. "Anyway, thanks for breakfast. I'm going to go nap."

Grace frowned and looked at the time on the oven. "It's ten in the morning."

"I've been up since four," she contradicted from the front door. "And I was lapped twelve times. I need a nap."

Just as Adelaide closed the door behind her, Grace chuckled to herself and Steve looked at the brunette. "So, what are we doing today?"