chapter forty-three

"𝐒𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐍𝐎 idea why Fury was in your apartment?" Adelaide asked while Grace held her head in her hands

"𝐒𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐍𝐎 idea why Fury was in your apartment?" Adelaide asked while Grace held her head in her hands. The brunette shook her head. "And Steve won't tell you why he was there?"

"No..." Grace sighed, leaning back in her chair. "And now I not only have a dead Director on my hands, but a boyfriend who's being more secretive than the entirety of SHIELD."

Adelaide shrugged. "On the other hand, you called him your boyfriend."

Grace hung her head and looked at the blonde. "Not the time, Addy. Whoever killed Nick, this was planned; he was the target. Which..." She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "Gives me about a thousand possible suspects."

"Well, who would want Fury dead?" Adelaide asked, leaning against the wall.

"I think it'd be easier to list who wouldn't want Nick dead," Grace replied. "He was a good guy, but... being the Director of SHIELD means you make some enemies. But they knew he was at  my apartment. And they knew exactly where he was standing. Steve didn't get a single mark on him."

"And Steve told Nat and Hill that he was really strong," Adelaide added and Grace looked up at her. "And really fast. Faster than him."

Grace furrowed her eyebrows. "So he's a... a super soldier like Steve?" She shook her head. "That isn't possible, Steve was the only one to get the serum. I mean, aside from Johann Schmidt but he's been dead for decades."

"What about Hydra?" Adelaide asked with a shrug. "Johann Schmidt led Hydra and he was given the same serum. Even if he's been dead, somebody else could be continuing his agenda."

Grace let out a breath. "I mean, I guess anything is possible but Hydra's been gone for years," she said, shaking her head. "It went down with Steve, practically. When he crashed into the ice, the war ended and Hydra disappeared."

"But maybe it's never been fully gone," Adelaide said and Grace looked up at her. "All it takes is one person." She pushed herself off the wall and moved to the door. "I'm gonna look around a bit."

"Addy." She looked back at Grace. "Just... be careful. And don't draw any attention to yourself. We don't want them to target you next."

Adelaide nodded. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. It's not like I'm gonna shout to an open room, 'Is anybody here associated with Hydra?'" Steve opened the door just as Adelaide was about to and walked past him toward the room full of SHIELD agents. "Is anybody here a double agent?"

Grace held her head in her hand as Steve looked at her. "Don't ask," she said before letting out a breath. "What's up?"

"As much as I want to tell you everything, I can't," he told her and she sighed. "Believe me, I want to."

"Then why can't you?"

"Because Fury told me not to trust anyone," he said and she looked over at him. "That's why."