Chapter 65

"I am only staying for one reason," Alistair says as the vampires all gather.

Edward glances between him and Kelby. "I know," he replies.

Kelby and Alistair stand closely together while Amun hisses ad Carlisle and Benjamin. Edward's jaw is tight as he moves quickly to Esme's side, towing Bella by her hand. Leo runs over to Kelby and Kelby lifts him up and places him on his back for what looks like a piggy back ride to humans. Leo lays his chin on Kelby's shoulder and Alistair looms wearily at the kid but back to the sight before them.

"Amun, if you want to go, no one is forcing you to stay," Carlisle says in his usual calm nature.

"You're stealing half of my coven, Carlisle!" Amun shrieks, stabbing his finger at Benjamin. "Is that why you called me here? To steal from me?"

Kelsea moves over to Alistair and Kelby and Leo. Alistair lets the fire-bender stand near him and Kelby. He watches as Carlisle sighs and Benjamin rolls his eyes.

"Yes, Carlisle picked a fight with the Volturi, endangered his whole family, just to lure me here to my death," Benjamin says sarcastically. "Be reasonable, Amun. I'm committed to doing the right thing her — I'm not joining any other coven. You can do whatever you want, of course, as Carlisle has pointed out."

"This won't end well," Amun growls while Kelsea forms a little flame in her hands to play with. "We should all be running. We will all be slaughtered!"

"It's not going to come to a fight," Carlisle says in a firm voice, his calmness slipping away bit-by-bit.

"You say!" Amun is glaring at the coven leader.

"If it does, you can always switch sides, Amun," Carlisle says. "I'm sure tor Volturi will appreciate your help."

"Perhaps that is the answer," Amun replies with a sneer.

"I wouldn't hold that against you, Amun," Carlisle says, his voice soft and sincere. "We have been friends for a long time, but I would never ask you to die for me,"

"But you're taking my Benjamin down with you," Amun says, his voice more controlled, too.

Carlisle puts a hand on his shoulder but Amun shakes it off. Sergio is flirting with Tanya whine Viviaca stands near Rosalie and Emmett.

"I'll stay, Carlisle, but it might be your detriment," Amun says. "I will join them if that's the road to survival. You're all fools to think you can defy the Volturi." He scowls and then sighs before glancing at Leo on Kelby's back and then at Bella and then he adds in an exasperated tone, "I will witness that the child has grown. That's nothing but the truth. Anyone would see that."

"That's all we've ever asked," Carlisle says.

Amun grimaces and says, "But not all that you are getting, it seems." He turns to Benjamin. "I gave you life. You're wasting it."

Benjamin's face goes cold as he hears these words. "It's a pity you couldn't replace my will with your own in the process;" he says, "perhaps then you would have been satisfied with me."

Amun narrows his eyes and he gestures abruptly to Kebi, the two stalk out the front door.

"He's not leaving," Edward says to Bella, "but he'll be keeping his distance even more from now on. He wasn't bluffing when he spoke of joining the Volturi."

"Why are you staying, Alistair?" Bella asks.

"My mate is here," Alistair replies. He glances at Kelby and back. "Love, let's go. You can make him food."

"Leo, are you hungry?"

"Yeah, uncle Kelby," Leo replies sweetly.

Kelsea and Benjamin start messing with his elements and her fire. Samantha Clearwater watches in awe while Kelby and Alistair go to the kitchen. Leo is now sitting beside Alistair while Kelby cooks up some chicken fajitas for himself and for Leo. He tosses Alistair a bag of AB+ blood and he catches it with ease.

"I want to taste people blood but Momma and Daddy won't let me,"  Leo admits.

"Then we shall not defy them," Alistair replies. "You should beg them."

The green-eyed boy giggles at this. "I will after I eat," he says. "Are you going to be my uncle, too, Alistair?"

"Maybe," Alistair replies.

Leo smiles and he eats when the food is done. He runs off to go find his parents while Kelby cleans. Alistair walks around the counter and he wraps his arms around him from behind. Kelby tenses up slightly before relaxing when he smells Alistair.

"If not for you, love, I'd have left already," Alistair says. "I do not trust the Volturi."

"Nor do I," Kelby says. "But I'm glad you're here."

Alistair inhales and takes in the amazing aroma of his mate. He holds him tenderly.
******

Outside, Amun and Kebi watch as Benjamin and Kelsea mess with their abilities together. Amun has met a few Fire and Water benders before. They're pretty powerful, especially the fire-benders since fire kills vampires. They watch as vampires agree and some are undecided. The Irish vampires join them. But Carlisle talks with Siobhan.

Meanwhile inside, Kelby turns to Alistair and they are really close.  Unable to resist the temptation anymore, the mates close the distance and their lips meet.