Chapter 64

Bella arrives home after seeing J. Jenkins and she sees Edward and Kelby at the piano, playing it together. Once that one's done, Edward plays a doctor tune. A lullaby he wrote for Bella. Kelby goes up to his room and he tells Alistair to join him instead of hiding in the attic all night. Alistair does as he's told and he lays in the bed beside his mate.

Alistair mindlessly pulls Kelby into his arms without thinking and Kelby lets the vampire guide him. The two connect together like matching puzzle pieces. Alistair and Kelby were the puzzle pieces the other one was missing. Alistair nuzzled his face into Kelby's hair and he inhales deeply.

"You were my missing puzzle piece," Alistair says, "and now I am complete."

Kelby smiles as he looks at Alistair's face. "I could say the same thing about you and I," he says. "I am now complete."

Alistair rolls over onto his side and he watches as Kelby flutters his eyes closed. Alistair watches curiously as the vampire goes to sleep to the piano piece that Edward is playing to welcome his wife home. Alistair gets up slowly and he goes to find Carlisle, who is in his office away from everyone.

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this, Alistair," Carlisle says. They were friends once, but Alistair distanced himself when Carlisle joined the Volturi for a while. "You could have easily said no."

"You're right, Carlisle. I could have easily said no," Alistair admits as he runs his fingers through his black hair. He sits down in a chair across from Carlisle. "But... I'm glad I agreed to come, rather it was a reluctant agreement or not. I met... my mate. I am no longer alone."

"No, you're not," Carlisle agrees. "Are you and Kelly all right?"

"He's asleep," Alistair replies. "I... after this is done, I'd like to join your coven to be with him. I would be willing to change my diet if I have to."

"Are you sure?" Carlisle asks. "You've always fed on humans."

"I'm sure," Alistair replies. "For Kelby, I'm sure."

Carlisle nods. "We'll discuss it more once the Volturi leaves," he says.

Alistair nods. He returns to Kelby's room and gets into the bed. As soon as he lays down, Kelby is curling into him once again. Alistair smiles and he moves closer to Kelby, wrapping his arms around him and he holds him securely.