Chapter 39

When Edward pulls into the garage, he and Bella see Rosalie, Emmett, and Kelby there. They're all done hunting. Emmett is working the Jack for his Jeep and Kelby's handing Rosalie tools. Emmett watches curiously as Edward carefully helps Bella out of the car and his eyes zero in on Bella's hand, which she's cradling against her chest.

"Fall down again, Bella?" Emmett asks with a grin.

Bella glares fiercely at him, which doesn't phase him at all. "No, Emmett," she answers. "I punched a werewolf in the face."

Emmett blinks before he roars out laughing. Kelby chuckles a little, remembering his own punching encounter with a wolf. He broke Jacob's nose instead of his own hand.

"Jasper's going to win the bed," Rosalie says smugly from under the Jeep she's working on.

Emmett's laughter stops at once and he studies Bella with appraising eyes.

"What bet?" Bella demands.

"Let's get you to Carlisle," Edward urges, staring at Emmett while shaking his head infinitesimally.

"What bet?" Bella insists as she turns to her vampire boyfriend.

"Thanks, Rosalie," Edward mutters. He tightens his arm around Bella's waist and he pulls her toward the house.

"Edward...."

"It's infantile," Edward says, shrugging. "Emmett and Jasper like to gamble," he says as they head inside.

"What do you think?" Rosalie asks Kelby. "How many times do you think Bella will slip in her first year?" 

"If she's anything like Kelsea, I think that she'll do perfectly well and not slip," Kelby replies. "Kelsea's done really good so far and she's still in her first year."

Rosalie hums but says nothing as she continues to work. Emmett and Kelby share a mildly amused look.