Chapter 52

The next night, Kelby makes some chili and Leah hesitantly comes in with her siblings. Leah smells the chili and she perks up and follows the smell. Sammy snd Seth chuckle and follow her.

"Chili."

"I make mine spicy," Kelby says.

"Perfect," Leah replies as she moves to sit at the counter. "I like spicy."

"Since I can't feed, I make sure to eat people food," Kelby says. "It doesn't work as well as blood, but it holds me over."

Leah studies him. "Why aren't you as wolf-hating as the others?"

"I don't like Jacob," Kelby says. "I broke his nose once."

Leah grins. "Okay. I think I can like you," she says. "What did he do?"

"He said some really mean stuff to Bella and i met him and Sam in no man's land," Kelby says. "I broke his nose. Sam thanked me for it."

"I wish I could have seen that," Leah says in complaint and her eyes widen as she's handed a bowl first, Sammy and Seth next.

"Eat up, pups," he encourages. He makes himself a bowl of chili and he eats it slowly. Kelby tenses when he smells the blood when Carlisle gets Bella some more. His eyes close and he breathes.

"Are you okay?" Seth asks.

Kelby doesn't answer. He brings his chili onto the balcony and he finishes his meal there. The blood became too much. Leah and her siblings finish eating and leave when Esme gathers the dishes before they can even attempt washing them themselves.

Kelby watches as the wolves go back outside.
********

Kelby goes out the next morning with breakfast he made. He waits until Leah comes back from patrol and she sees the stack of pancakes and a few sausage links. Leah goes into the bushes and comes out human.

"Is Seth eating?"

"Esme made sure he ate something when he went searching for Jacob," Kelby replies. "He's eating like he's starving."

"He's been like that always, even before the shift," Leah says. "Thank you."

Kelby nods. "Of course." He smiles. "Just send the plate in with someone or bring it in yourself."

Leah watches him walk away and she actually cracks a small grin.