Chapter 22

Kelby goes to Port Angeles over a week later to visit Leonard's grave. He goes by the florist and he bumps into a gorgeous human with scars that are still puffy.

"I'm sorry!" Kelby says quickly.

"Oh, you're fine!" the woman gushes. "I wasn't watching where I was going. I'm Emily," she says and a hot guy who smells like a wet dog walks up. "This is my fiancée, Sam."

"I'm Kelby," the vampire says and he shakes both Emily and Sam's hands.

"Do you live here in Port Angeles?" Emily asks as Kelby looks through the dahlias.

"I'm currently residing in Seattle," Kelby says. "I have a friend buried in a cemetery here."

"Oh... I'm sorry," Emily says.

Kelby can tell that Sam's weary because he smells that Kelby's a vampire. Sam is also relieved that Kelby doesn't seem tempted to feed on Emily.

"Dahlias were always his favorite flower," Kelby says. "Mine, too."

"They are beautiful flowers," Emily says. "I'm here for seeds and maybe some flowers for my hanging pots for the front porch."

"Well, happy shopping," Kelby says with a smile. "It was nice meeting you both."

He walks away and he pays for the flowers. Sam follows him out.

"The others aren't around," Kelby says before Sam can speak as he puts the dahlias into his car. He closes the door and turns to the shapeshifter. "They're not even in Alaska. Don't worry about Emily. I won't touch her. I went to another country to regain control because I didn't want to take any risks."

Sam nods. "If you come back to Forks, let me know so that we can renew the treaty," he says.

"I will," Kelby says. "Promise. Now, I have to go lay flowers on my first love's grave. It was nice meeting you, Sam."

"You too," Sam replies slowly before Kelby leaves.

Kelby goes to the cemetery and he walks to Leonard's grave.

"Hello, Leonard." He kneels before the grave once the flowers are in the cement vase. He swipes off the snow and he bows his head to say a Mexican prayer that Carmen taught him while in Alaska. He inhales shakily and he wipes the tear away. "I'm doing okay, although I'm still mourning you. I'm not going to let it consume me."

Kelby stands up and he stares down at the rock. He doesn't see Sam spying with Emily, but he smells the wolf.

"Don't worry," he says to Sam, "I'm going back to Seattle. You can stop spying on me now." Kelby stares down at the grave before leaving the cemetery and he goes to his car before driving back center in Seattle.