Chapter 21 Tall Grass

Isabella
After a little while of hugging he began coughing again and I asked him where he wanted to go. "I would like to go to the little wooden bed over there if you could walk with me over to it, I would be very grateful." I took his hand and slowly led him to the bed. "My pleasure." I smiled faintly. He laid down and I held his hand as I sat next to him on a small stool with a red cushion.
I would have stood in that position forever if I could, but I couldn't. I knew that time was pushing me away even though I was gripping as hard as I could to this moment, soon to be, memory. His frail cough and pale face were signs. His body was tired, ready to rest. "Are you ready uncle?" I asked squeezing his hand tighter than ever. "Yes dear... I'm ready." He gave me a last faint smile and I watched his soul leave his body.

Something was different about the room when he left it, it was now cold... no longer filed with his warm presence, that I longed for so greatly.

He was ready...
"Yes he was ready." I told myself as I slowly stood up, feeling the numbness consume my emotions, like venom.

I had been taught to suck it up my whole life, and here I was... doing it. I didn't feel a need to eat, to sleep, to move, to drink, to shower. I stayed in the chair and watched his body lose its color.

Hours and hours passed as I watched him rest. I just wished for him to move, but he didn't. Since there was no sun in the cellar I couldn't tell if it was dark or light. My notion of time abandoned me.

I felt lost, this time no one was coming to save me and it's not like I wanted anyone to.

I would have done just about anything to go back in time... if only I had one more minute with him.

LORENZO

"Mother, please tell me what's wrong?" I asked worriedly holding onto her hands. We sat on a pair of chairs surrounding a small glass table. "Give me a minute to go grab some biscuits and milk, with tea." She stood up and I was left there puzzled, wondering about all the possibilities. My mind was spinning and I just couldn't get a grip of myself.

Biscuits and tea was a classic of her's whenever she was stressed out or needed to say something important. She came back a few minutes later holding a large wooden tray with a two floral porcelain cups of tea, covered in pink flowers and gold details.

Two golden spoons sugar and obviously a tray filled with chocolate cookies were set over the table and she took a deep breath before speaking, which only worried me more.

"For the past few months I got involved in some deep problems... but I don't think you should have to have them as a burden to yourself, you deserve some peace at last. And besides... you bringing me a pay check is more than enough darling. Don't worry about me!" She placed her thumb in my cheek and rubbed it with love.

"Thank you mom for caring about me, but I don't need you saying what I deserve." I took her hand gently and lowered it from my cheek, still holding it over the table. She was about to speak again before I cut her off. "And I don't need you to try and protect me from the truth... that is my job. My job is to protect you and I'm failing at it, for you to help me out I need you to tell me who is doing this!" I raised her arm with my hand to reveal stitches I had seen her hiding earlier, when I came in the house. She held her hand over that arm and that's how I knew she was hiding something that could potentially be a wound.

I stared at it for a few seconds realising that it was a lot worse than I thought. "Mamá... what- who did this to you!?" I asked, anger rising serving as fuel... almost like gasoline. I gently set her hand on the table again while staring at her.

"Lorenzo... I got involved with some people I shouldn't have gotten involved with. They want to come here every week for money and if I don't they threaten to kill me and kill you. I don't know how to handle them so I've been giving them money to protect you and I." She said, tears leaking from her eyes. I could see the wall she set to protect herself come crashing down, exposing her vulnerable heart.