Looming Threat

(281)

"Salon de Vénus"

☆ ☆ ☆

February 19, 1777

Salon de Vénus, Palace of Versailles

Good morning, everyone! It's a very difficult time, but I, Louis XVI, am prioritizing what a man must do and trying to get things in order.

Only one day left until the European Conference. In this era, it's quite an advanced attempt, and it's necessary to build a foundation to counter the revolutionary wars that will probably occur within a few years, while also organizing the situations and facilitating communication among European nations.

Revolutionary wars aim to break the political order of the old regime and establish a new one, and they are typically used as a means to overcome a stagnant economic situation and political unrest. In terms of political significance, famous examples include the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution. These two were known because they overthrew the existing system and moved to a new regime.

It is also true that the early French Revolution wanted gradual reforms as well as taxation of the tax-exempt privilege held by the nobility and clergy. However, their demands became increasingly radical, and they executed high-borns left and right, including the king and queen, unconditionally, and formed factions to fight bloody wars and internal conflicts. The Russian Revolution saw the execution of Tsar Nicholas and his family, resulting in the establishment of the Soviet Union and widespread repression and purges that forced some to defect to the capitalist bloc.

Similar events are happening right now in London. Riots by citizens have been occurring since mid-November, and despite travel restrictions, people have ignored them and finally rebelled against the oppressive government. What was initially expected to be quickly suppressed has spread to protests and riots throughout the British Isles, and London is now under the control of revolutionary forces that advocate for the New Treatise of Government.

'Oh... It has finally begun... The spark of revolution has been ignited...'

On January 13, the London Revolutionary Government, calling itself the National Equality Government, was established, sending shockwaves throughout Europe. Moreover, the head of the government is only 25 years old. I thought that was quite young, but then I realized I'm only 23, so I might be considered young as a king. "Living the King's Life at 23!" or "Starting the Revolutionary Life at 25!" sounds like something from light novels, you know? And they don't seem cute, especially the latter.

Perhaps, as a conversation partner, it could work, but I'm afraid I might be told something like, "Even if you're a good king, please step down to achieve true social equality." I'm more scared of that, to be honest. According to information obtained by the Department of Land Administration, this person was a student in the Faculty of Law at Oxford University until about a year ago.

It seems he was academically excellent and had a mild personality, but he had to drop out of university due to financial reasons, and his whereabouts have been unknown since then... About a year ago, there was a young man who started giving speeches in places like the slums, and his speeches were apparently quite popular because they were easy to understand... Could this be the pattern of someone awakening to dissatisfaction with the social system...?

Falling from a decent social standing and then using speeches to rise from there... It's somewhat like the case of Robespierre, who caused the Reign of Terror in the original history's French Revolution. I believe Robespierre was also studying law in college, so... hmm, it's giving me a déjà vu feeling. Could this be the backlash of the changed history?