Last Kingdom

(265)

"To Prepare Against Britain"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post because I want to beat up on England.

☆ ☆ ☆

November 13, 1776

Conference Room 5, Grand Trianon

Good morning, everyone!

I'm currently in the midst of an important meeting in the newly constructed conference room at Grand Trianon. It's Louis XVI here!

As it's 15:00, it's time for a snack break—I mean, a short break. I'm currently enjoying a hot milk tea with biscuits and sugar.

It seems to be a popular milk tea among the monks and merchants of the Kingdom of Mysore. They taught me how to make it before they returned to their homeland, and I had it prepared for our meeting break. It's incredibly sweet and really wakes you up, making your mind race. I hear it contains about four sugar cubes per cup. It's delicious, but if I drink it too often, I might end up with diabetes, so I've limited myself to two cups a day!

Now... in September, I had the pleasure of signing a renewed friendship treaty with the delegation from the Kingdom of Mysore. This "Franco-Mysorean Friendship Treaty" includes provisions for mutual exchange of personnel, agreements regarding stationed troops, sending agricultural laborers to Qinglong, and procuring local spices for preserved foods at favorable prices. We signed it on September 17. In terms of military and economic matters, this treaty has significant implications for France. Everyone at the meeting was pleased that this treaty was so meaningful for us.

We plan to send a French Army artillery battalion to be stationed in the Kingdom of Mysore by next July, primarily serving as a defense force and providing modern military training to the Mysorean artillery. However, let me be clear that this is not an alliance for aggression, and if the Kingdom of Mysore breaches the treaty and initiates an act of aggression, we will withdraw our forces immediately.

Furthermore, as part of the agreement, the Kingdom of Mysore has agreed to provide us with a set of sample rocket weapons utilizing black powder, which is currently being developed in secret. I consider this a highly advantageous deal, as these rockets have a longer range than conventional field guns and famously troubled the British forces in history with their prototype models. During the meeting, Army officer Claude Louis, after examining detailed information on these rocket weapons, expressed his amazement.

"So, it's a wide-area suppression weapon with an estimated range of about one kilometer! I have seen historical documents mentioning the use of rockets in medieval China... but I can hardly believe that the Kingdom of Mysore is already preparing to put such weapons into practical use..."

"Yes, Claude, I shared your initial skepticism... but as the next page of the document says, chemist Antoine Lavoisier of the Academy of Sciences made a prototype based on the plans given to him by the delegation and launched at the field artillery training center in the Parisian suburbs, which is also mentioned on the next page..."

"...Maximum range of one kilometer, capable of causing casualties within a ten-meter radius... Yet, each rocket has a total weight lighter than conventional artillery shells... Ranging from a minimum of one kilogram to a maximum of around ten kilograms..."

"In other words, this is a wide-reaching suppression weapon that even neighboring countries don't possess. The fact that a single soldier can carry several rounds is an advantage in terms of mobility and rapid deployment... However, unlike field guns, these weapons cannot be directly aimed, and launch platforms must be set up with adjusted angles. So, it has its pros and cons."