Squirming

(179)

"Rider"

☆ ☆ ☆

"Is it time soon?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, everyone who already has an invitation is gathering."

"Alright, I've had some delicious tea, so let's go, Antoinette!"

"Yes, let's go!"

Finally, the international event is about to begin. At the 1st International French Fashion Fair, domestic nobles and influential figures, as well as foreign dignitaries, are arriving one after another at the Bourbon Palace, waiting for us. Security measures are in place... If anything happens, the gendarmes and guards will rush to our aid. In fact, as we walked from the waiting area towards the central square of the palace exhibition, we were being protected by a team of ten guards.

Daniel Polnareff, who has been fulfilling his duty as a guard since the Red Rain Incident, has been promoted from corporal to second lieutenant. Time flies.

I shudder to think what would have happened if Daniel hadn't rushed to our aid at that time. In addition to his accomplishments during the Red Rain Incident, he went on to study at the military academy and graduated this year as a second lieutenant, returning to Versailles as a guard once again. I feel a sense of destiny.

"But still, it's reassuring to have Second Lieutenant Daniel as our guard..."

"Well, we have received instructions from the Office of Internal Special Investigations to protect Your Majesty as guards. And it is a great honor to be able to serve Your Majesty in this way."

"Alright, if anything happens, we'll leave it to you. Please take care of us."

We are always on guard for remnants of Cardinal Rohan's faction launching an attack, but terrorism is difficult to restrain. It would be a problem if any issues were to arise during the fashion-related event that Antoinette has been looking forward to... If there are fools who intend to harm Antoinette, I will defeat them all with just my fingertips.

...or so I thought, but I'm not strong enough to defeat them with just my fingertips, and I can't use a certain divine fist (Shinken), so that's probably impossible. I must protect Antoinette at a moment's notice. We won't let anyone interfere with us. Keeping that in mind, Antoinette and I were walking to the venue for the opening ceremony. It only takes three minutes, but the atmosphere feels a bit tense... Perhaps because she's not fond of such tense atmospheres, Antoinette expressed her feelings.

"But still... the excitement of seeing various outfits with my own eyes... So amazing..."

"That's right... Are there any outfits that you're particularly interested in, Antoinette?"

"Yes, of course! I want to see Austrian dresses... and I also want a new riding outfit!"

"A riding outfit?"

"Yes, recently, there's a trend for riding outfits with padding to protect the body in case of a fall! Especially, Dutch-made riding outfits are said to be of the highest quality, so I want to see them!"

Antoinette's top choice for outfits seems to be riding attire. She hasn't been riding as much lately, but she really loves it. She received a scolding letter from Archduchess Maria Theresa once, saying, "If you ride too much from a young age, you won't be able to have children!" But that's how much she loves horseback riding. In historical records, her love for horseback riding led her to become deeply involved in horse racing, accumulating debts of tens of thousands of livres. It's no wonder her suitability attribute in a certain game is "Riding."