Locomotive

(251)

"Eruption Countermeasures"

☆ ☆ ☆

June 8, 1776

"Whoa... Today is the eighth of June... Just 7 years to go..."

Everyone, I, Louis XVI, am well aware that we are rapidly approaching the eruption of Mount Laki. I pondered this at my desk in my office, facing the facts. Do you all know... the reasons behind the French Revolution?

The common understanding is that it happened because the nobility and clergy were living in luxury despite the poverty of the people. However, that was just one part of the revolution. The primary cause of the French Revolution was the massive eruptions of Mount Laki in Iceland and Mount Asama in Japan. Mount Laki in Iceland erupted on this very day in 1783, and two months later, Mount Asama in Japan erupted, leading to global cooling in the entire northern hemisphere.

HOBF perfectly recreates this event, especially the "Five Years of Nightmares" of northern hemisphere cooling, which results in famine, food shortages, and overall efficiency decline in Europe, North America, and East Asia. For players, it allows them to simulate a post-apocalyptic scenario where they have to reduce taxes, cut expenses, and even invade neighboring countries for food. I hope we can be spared from what's about to happen in 7 years. When the volcanoes erupt, they release a massive amount of volcanic ash into the air, which blocks out the sunlight.

With sunlight significantly reduced, crops can't grow properly due to lack of sunlight, resulting in poor-quality wheat. Even with inferior quality, the wheat prices skyrocket because of the scarcity. Rye and barley suffer from similar issues. The skyrocketing food prices and scarcity of even basic grains led to the outbreak of the French Revolution.

So, the famous phrase attributed to Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat cake!" implies that due to the global cooling caused by volcanic eruptions, there was a shortage of wheat, the primary ingredient for bread. Oh, by the way, it's been said that this phrase didn't appear in written records until the 19th century... which is half a century later. It's probably more of a literary interpretation. Let's stop spreading rumors about Antoinette!

"Still seven years... but also, only seven years... I have to start planning for food scarcity and distribution issues for the next seven years. Time flies, and the Revolution's major event will occur in no time. It's best to prepare while we can."

Even though it's seven years away... I've already been reincarnated for six years. Time really flies. At this rate, the major event triggering the Revolution will occur in no time, so it's essential to get things done while there's still time.

...So, what should I do first? While increasing the number of heirs with Antoinette is crucial, first, I'll list several possible scenarios that might occur due to the extreme cold.

If history repeats itself, there will be a massive release of volcanic ash in the northern hemisphere, causing cooling, damaging agriculture and animal husbandry, and even affecting human health. It was bad. People inhaled toxic substances from the volcanic ash, damaging their lungs and causing respiratory diseases, leading to a doubled death toll. Many crops, due to root rot, couldn't be harvested, especially around autumn. Horses and cows suffered as well due to the changing climate, and many of them died.

In addition to several years of unpredictable weather and cooling, it's almost as if an event happened in France, an agricultural nation, that delivered the final blow. Given that it had a global impact, it affected not only Europe but also Asia. However, we can't stop volcanic eruptions, so if it happens as it did in history, we must prepare for the consequences.