Fire on the Other Shore

(273)

"New Year's Day of Sinking Pains"

☆ ☆ ☆

January 4, 1777

By now, the New Year's first three days would be over in Japan, and at the Palace of Versailles, the staff are working as usual.

'Happy New Year, and let's have a great year.' These words of encouragement are being spoken to motivate people. Now, normally, it would be a time for New Year's events and festivities, but this year, we can't afford to do so.

"Facing New Year's events and documents... Well, it's hard to put it into words... Sorry for causing you so much trouble, Hauser, for helping out so early in the new year..."

"No, Your Majesty, I am happy to be of service. Besides, if we can headhunt talented individuals from among the volunteers, it will benefit France. We are also cooperating with Austria and Sweden, so it won't be just France carrying the risk, and we can distribute the immigration of these people to them. Let's proceed without rushing."

"You're right... Thank you. I've just finished signing the approval for this batch of applications. Can you bring the next set?"

"Of course, please wait a moment."

The situation in the United Kingdom has become serious, and on December 7, Plan GB, the plan to evacuate Britain, was activated, mobilizing half of the French Navy to accept refugees and asylum seekers from Britain. The documents Hauser brought contain the number of British citizens coming across the Strait of Dover. They were flooding in more than expected, so administrative officials in various regions are currently allocating temporary living spaces for them, as you can see, my office is quite cramped. It's become a daily routine to sign "Residence Permit Certificates for Refugees and Asylum Seekers Due to Turmoil in Great Britain." I'm starting to worry about getting carpal tunnel syndrome!

"Your Majesty, here are additional refugee and asylum seeker application documents from Dunkerque. There is a total of 3.800 people... Is that acceptable?"

"It's fine. Besides, keeping them at the harbor for too long would burden the port town. I'll sign these 3.800 application documents today. Are all the civilian ships that arrived in Dunkerque carrying evacuees from London?"

"Yes, they are mainly made up of moderately wealthy citizens, along with some merchants, clergy from the Church of England, and a few nobles."

"So, it seems that those who can afford to escape or have money are the ones leaving..."

"They are the ones who can quickly gather the funds for evacuation, mainly the wealthy, the clergy, and nobility... London is experiencing major fires due to anti-government movements that took advantage of the unrest, and there are large-scale conflicts between revolutionaries and royalists in various districts. It is speculated that they have already fallen into a state of civil war."

On December 4, the buildup of political turmoil and economic recession among British citizens, coupled with growing frustration and radical anti-government movements, culminated in a group led by students advocating for a new civil government attacking a weapons depot in London, looting firearms and ammunition, and setting government buildings in London on fire. As if that was a signal, fires erupted at police stations, precincts, and military facilities across various parts of London, plunging the city into chaos.

Not long before that, d'Eon, who was active in London, informed us that the situation in Britain was on the brink of civil war. D'Eon suggested relocating a branch of the Department of Land Administration to Edinburgh to monitor the situation and conduct investigations into the revolutionary forces. D'Eon also pleaded for the immediate activation of Plan GB, so we promptly initiated Plan GB, deploying the French Navy to England to evacuate French citizens, as well as civilians from allied and friendly countries, scientists, and engineers.