Red Rain Incident

(22)

"The Saying "Fools Don't Catch Colds" is a Superstition"

☆ ☆ ☆

June 30, 1770

I'm off in my room all day today. Or rather, I have to rest as my doctor told me to rest absolutely, because I caught a cold.

There was a saying, "Fools don't catch colds," but it seemed that I have been too reckless these days.

I lit a candle until late at night and prepared documents... Drafting the original draft for the creation of the T agency... Held a study session with Antoinette... Treatment of servants and guards, preparation of documents to improve work, etc...

This was only when I'm starting to work on domestic affairs.

This morning I thought my body was feeling lethargic, and when I touched my forehead, I found that I had more fever than I thought. My throat was also a bit swollen, so I must have caught a cold. This was the time of year when the seasons change. It was also the time of year when spring turned to summer, so my health must have been waning. My doctor gave me a bottle of a Western herbal concoction made from a mixture of Chinese hibiscus and other herbs, which I chugged down in one gulp. It was an herb that was used in modern times as a medicine, so I guess it's safe.

But the people around me were more concerned about me. The attendants said to me, "Please take care of yourself, My Lord Dauphin."

And when Louis XV and Madame du Barry came to see me to see if I was alright, even I was surprised. I hadn't expected the commotion to have grown to this extent.

"Auguste, you are working hard. But don't be reckless. It would be a waste of time and energy if you were to break your body through recklessness."

"As you say, Your Majesty."

"Lord Auguste, Madame Antoinette has been worried about you. You must rest for the rest of the day."

"Thank you, Madame du Barry."

I didn't expect Louis XV, but I didn't expect her to come either. It seemed that I had made a good impression on her by greeting her properly at the last ball. She had also seen the commotion that had occurred after that, so she reported it to the King. When the King learned about the commotion, he immediately called my aunts to his office and was furious with them.

That's right.

Anyone would be angry if someone were to ruin the atmosphere of a party that was supposed to be a fun event.

On the other hand, Antoinette was also quite worried. She was worried about what she would do if I became seriously ill. I am truly sorry for making her worried like that. And she got angry at me for taking on too much work.

"Lord Auguste, you're working too much! At the very least, let's take a good rest today, just like the doctor said!"

"Right, right, you're completely right."

She had warned me recently that I was working too late at night, but before my reincarnation, it was common for me to work all night long. Paperwork, laptops, and company disks were my friends. Such was the corporate life...!

I was having a lot of fun planning my own projects.

...No, I haven't lost the feeling I had when I was a corporate employee...

But I was supposed to be used to that kind of thing. I was probably not taking good care of myself. Maybe it's just now that I'm feeling overwhelmed. In the modern day, I would just go to a doctor and get antibiotics, but that's not the case here. In a sense, this may be a warning.