In the Swaying Carriage

(66)

"I'm Going to Paris!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apology from the author.

I really want the main character to relax and sightsee in Paris, so please understand that there will be about 4-5 chapters that will include daily life in Paris.

☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I've decided to take a break after managing to tidy up my work at the Department of Land Administration for now.

We need to create an environment where we can take a break. It would be a big problem if I, who have been promoting work style reforms, end up overworking myself. So, unless there's an urgent matter, I've announced that we should take some time off.

"...That's the plan. I shouldn't worry the heads of our allied nation, after all. Today and tomorrow will be days off."

"Understood. Then, let's proceed accordingly for today."

Since Monsieur Hauser and Princesse de Lamballe also advised me to take a break, I felt relieved that they agreed to rest. And when I suggested to Antoinette that we take a leisurely stroll through the streets of Paris, Monsieur Hauser agreed with some conditions.

"So, I was thinking of touring around Paris today... What do you think?"

"Sightseeing sounds great! However, there's still a possibility that anti-reformist nobles or clergy may harm Your Majesty. It might be dangerous to publicly appear as the king..."

"I see... Then how about we dress inconspicuously and take a regular carriage, only going to predetermined locations? You know, the so-called incognito. I think that would be safer."

"That's a good idea... Currently, it seems to be the safest option. Which carriage are you planning to use?"

"Hmm, how about a simple design rather than an extravagant one? As long as it's not too flashy, anything will do."

"Understood. We will prepare the carriage within an hour, and we will also gather the accompanying guards."

Being a king is tough no matter what you do. It seems that it's dangerous to walk alone for "just going to the convenience store" even if you want to go out (that's obvious for the country's leader). Not only the anti-reformists, but it seems that there are many robbers and thieves in the city of Paris. Therefore, I decided to visit predetermined locations—facilities and shops that are easy to secure. There's no other choice in this situation. When I informed Antoinette about this, she agreed to it.

"...So, Antoinette, we'll just visit predetermined places and take a look around. Is that alright?"

"Yes! Of course, that's fine! Let's go together to any place!"

"Thank you. I haven't really been to downtown Paris myself, so let's see how it is."

It's been said that people's consciousness has been changing due to the actual effects of the reform, but since I was reborn, I haven't stepped a foot outside the Palace of Versailles. I've only ventured out as far as the Palace of Versailles, the Petit Trianon, and the surrounding lawns. Living like a shut-in in the 18th century, you could say. But there's plenty to do inside the palace, so I haven't felt particularly restricted. That's why I didn't have much of a desire to go outside.

It's about time I see what Paris city center is like in this era. Seeing is believing, after all! I need to see and experience it for myself! Of course, it's meant as a break, so no work.