Brother-in-Law!

(92)

"Visiting from Austria"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for your patience. This is the first post since I exceeded 5 million views.

☆ ☆ ☆

July 10, 1771

"The popularity of bathing therapy at Enghien-les-Bains! His Majesty the King is also enjoying the hot springs!"

"Potato Cooking Contest Announces Date for Second Edition!"

"Wage of workers increase by more than 15 percent. Is the economy entering a period of prosperity?"

It has become a daily routine for me, Louis XVI, to read the newspapers of each newspaper company after finishing breakfast. Every newspaper company is featuring peaceful front-page articles.

Yes.

This level of peacefulness is the best. I prefer bright news over dark news. I think everyone would feel the same.

"Today will be another peaceful day. The maintenance of the water and sewage systems has also begun, and this might be the crucial moment."

There haven't been any major events happening recently. If I have to mention something, large-scale maintenance work on the water and sewage systems is progressing from the eastern district in the streets of Paris, and a plan is underway to complete the maintenance of all the water and sewage systems in Paris over the course of ten years. We need to improve the situation of wastewater being discharged everywhere.

During the time until the completion of the water and sewage systems, I have decided to create a new profession with my authority as the king. It's called "State Recovery and Disposal Company" ... In reality, it's a company that collects and processes manure, but I changed the name to State Recovery and Disposal Company because using the words "manure" wouldn't be appropriate.

Looking at the current situation in Paris, we need such companies. Feces and urine being thrown out of the windows of multi-story buildings have become a common occurrence in the city of Paris. It's really smelly and at its worst, you know?

I thought that this needed to be remedied. It may sound dirty, but feces and urine are inevitably produced by human beings. It takes effort to dispose of them. However, even with the introduction of fines, improvements are not expected. So, I thought, what if we buy up the waste and sewage?

During the Edo period, there was a system in place to purchase waste and sewage, mainly from farmers. By fermenting such waste and sewage and turning it into fertilizer called 'down manure,' they were able to eliminate waste. Of course, it takes several years for this down manure to ferment, and if the fermentation is insufficient, crops will rot from the roots, and parasites can enter the crops, causing a terrible situation.

'Even though Japan has a culture of using down manure, it seems that they pickle or thoroughly heat vegetables such as daikon that grow in the ground before eating them...'

Taking those circumstances into consideration, fermentation facilities were established in various locations for waste and sewage treatment. During the three-year period until the completion of the down manure, sewage collection sites were set up, and a system to buy waste and sewage from the citizens of Paris was experimentally introduced. For each apartment, it cost about 3 livres. Twice a week, the collection workers visited the apartments and collected the waste and sewage from the buckets in each room.