Made in Taiwan

(213)

"The Question of Southward Expansion"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post since the book information was put on the book report page.

☆ ☆ ☆

May 22, 1775

I, Louis XVI, always thought of the warm lands of Russia. Our country is focused on domestic affairs, so we lead a life free from war. During this era, Krieg breaks out every year, everywhere! Krieg! Krieg! Krieg! ...War is rampant.

Currently, there are two major wars happening that we are aware of.

First is the American Revolutionary War. Just like in history, the colonists with grievances against Britain have risen on a massive scale. It seems that the Continental Army has occupied almost the entire territory, except for a few strongholds like New York. Reports from the Department of Land Administration's agents infiltrating the field suggested that the locals were executing anyone loyal to the British army, British businessmen, and even the British royal family without hesitation. Furthermore, it seemed that neither militia nor regular troops could intervene, and these massacres were being tolerated. Upon receiving the report from Anthony, who brought the report from the Department of the Land Administration's intelligence division, I couldn't help but be astonished.

"Are you sure about this, Anthony? Even if the colonists are running wild like this, aren't the militia and regular troops trying to stop them?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, the contents of the report are highly reliable. We've also received similar reports from d'Eon who is engaged in information exchange with high-ranking British officials. The colonists have erupted due to a combination of various taxes imposed on them and policies that can be perceived as British oppression. Soldiers captured by the militia or regular troops were spared... but the report also includes the fate of soldiers captured by civilians."

"Let's see... hanged with a rope around their necks, burned alive, chopped up with axes and hoes... Wow, it seems like they're quite hysterical."

"The populace is indeed burning with rage. There are even reports that militias and regular troops are trying to restrain them. The upper echelons of the British government are deploying not only regular troops but also hiring Prussian mercenaries and sending convicts to the New World in exchange for amnesty to suppress the rebellion. The total number of troops currently deployed in the New World is estimated to be around 30.000."

"I see... it seems that a total war is about to break out in the New World."

During this era, regular soldiers are scarce, with Britain having 30.000 and Prussia, a land-based military state, having around 50.000. So, mobilizing a force of 30.000 is indeed a significant military movement.

Speaking of which, after the historical French Revolution, Robespierre implemented the levée en masse ("mass levy"), conscripting unmarried men between 18 and 25 years old, resulting in France having an estimated 800.000 troops.

While conscripting a large number of soldiers can provide an advantage in terms of manpower, maintaining an army is an expensive endeavor. Modern-day United States can maintain a powerful military thanks to its massive economic market. It used its economic power to achieve world dominance. In contrast, economically struggling nations may find it challenging to maintain their military, let alone update their weaponry. For example, North Korea still uses jet fighters from the Korean War over 60 years ago.