The Man, Louis XVI

(1)

"My Name is Louis-Auguste... the Next King!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post as there are not many historical novels dealing with the French Revolution. I look forward to your high evaluation and feedback.

- Scarred G

★ ☆ ★

When I woke up, I was unknowingly and unconsciously walking down the aisles of a luxurious palace. My dazed consciousness gradually cleared. I had seen this passageway before. I had seen this place many times on the game screen, how could I forget it?

"Isn't this... Palace of Versailles?"

The Palace of Versailles...

It is one of the World Heritage Sites built by Louis XIV, the Sun King, who was active during the most glorious era of France. It is a gorgeous and amazing palace. Especially, the gardens were more important than the buildings. This is also to show the overwhelming power of France to the rest of the world.

It seemed that so much money was spent that there is an episode in which the war budget was insufficient as a result of the wasteful construction. It is a building that reminds us of France's fundamental power. This very Palace of Versailles is where I am now.

Waitwaitwait, am I dreaming? This is too specific for a dream.

The scenery floating on the windowpane is so realistic. While I was still in a daze, a voice called out to me from behind.

"My Lord Dauphin! How can I help you?"

"Eh, Dauphin?"

"Yes, My Lord, it's you."

The person who approached me was a man wearing a wig, which was popular until early modern Europe, or rather, was often worn mainly by aristocrats.

Is this man blind or something!? How can a 30-something salaryman be the Dauphin, the Crown Prince of France!?

"Dauphin... me?"

"Yes, My Lord Dauphin, Louis-Auguste! Are you not feeling well?"

...Dauphin Louis-Auguste.

Doesn't he mean something else? But it seems that he really means it as he called me "Dauphin." It is a title given to a person who will be a candidate for the next king.

Personally, I would have been happy with the President of some tropical country in the Caribbean, but now that I think about it, the title "Dauphin" is so cool! Or something. Führer would have been fine too, but would be too much like the Funny Square Mustache Man (Adolf Hitler) or an artificial head of state from a certain dark fantasy manga, so I decided against it.

People passing in the aisles were dressed in those weird medieval or early modern European style clothes with curly hair that the aristocrats used to wear a long time ago, and I thought I must be a great person in my own right, considering what I was wearing, right?

Man, it feels good to be a great man in a dream, doesn't it?

But when I heard the king was mentioned, I was astonished.

"It will soon be time for lunch with His Majesty the King. It's time for us to move on."

"Uhh, I have a question... what is His Majesty's name now? And what is my father's name?"

"...His Majesty Louis XV? Your father is Louis Ferdinand, who passed away five years ago... um, My Lord Dauphin? Are you unwell? You look quite pale..."