Bourbon Doctrine

(243)

"When Paris Rises"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The author's name is Scarred G (スカーレッドG, Sukāreddo G), but this is my first post because it is always mistaken as "Scarlet G" (スカーレットG, Sukāretto G).

☆ ☆ ☆

April 11, 1776

Today marks the sixth year of my reincarnation as Louis XVI.

I can remember my name from my previous life, and I can even recall the games I used to play. I remember being rejected by my first love, and I also remember the embarrassing incident when my bag containing adult-themed doujinshi purchased at a major fan convention on the Rinkai Line platform ripped open and scattered them all over...

I am Louis XVI... and I take my role as the King of France quite seriously, despite being a reincarnated man. Though I occasionally let loose and have some fun.

Now, on the occasion of my sixth year, it's important to review how France has improved. Reevaluation is a noble task. In this sixth year of initiating reforms, France has become the most stable region in Europe in terms of politics and the economy. In the European direction, the number of investments has increased to the point where people say, "When it comes to investment, you should go to France."

In the political arena, reforms primarily supported by certain groups have been successful, implementing the Bourbon Reforms with a top-down approach to prevent the French Revolution as originally planned. These reforms abolished slavery and serfdom, extended tolerance towards Calvinists and persecuted Jews, and attracted talented individuals to France. Furthermore, the reforms abolished tax exemptions for the traditional aristocracy and clergy, resulting in increased tax revenue.

Some aristocrats and clergy strongly opposed the idea of paying taxes, and in light of the original history's mistakes of the past, we enforced strict measures. Aristocrats and clergy had to register their estates, churches, and related commercial properties as "businesses," maintain records, and pay taxes. Those found engaging in fraudulent activities faced severe consequences, including loss of privileges and confiscation of assets and land. We spared their lives, but it's perplexing why they resorted to such behavior. Among those who engaged in fraudulent activities, nearly half claimed they did it to maintain appearances or show off their wealth. Misrepresenting their financial records is unacceptable.

Of course, there were major aristocrats who vehemently opposed these reforms, known as the Orléans faction. They resisted and engaged in subversive activities. However, we arrested their leader, imposed life sentences, and carried out executions, putting an end to their complaints. The assets and wealth amassed by the Orléans faction were redirected to the national budget and research funds, paving the way for significant foundational research.

Nevertheless, we had to be cautious, as excessive executions might lead to comparisons with some red land's Stalin. We made sure to publicly announce that the taxes would go towards the national budget, emergency relief funds during disasters, infrastructure development, and poverty alleviation, earning the trust of the common people. As over 90% of the French population was made up of commoners, gaining their support was crucial. The populace wouldn't accept a situation where only the aristocracy and clergy enjoyed tax exemptions while leading luxurious lives. At the very least, paying taxes before indulging in extravagance seemed more reasonable to the citizens.

In the field of economics, the financial policies implemented by Necker, who is in charge of finances, have yielded positive results. Investments have been attracted from both domestic and international sources, leading to extensive development and progress. We have particularly focused on urban development projects in cities like Paris and the establishment of an industrial structure that leverages factories and steam engines. In Paris and other urban areas of France, the emphasis has been placed on sanitation infrastructure development, resulting in a significant reduction in unpleasant odors stemming from the improper disposal of excrement. This has also led to the redevelopment of Paris into a clean and stable city where people can enjoy a higher quality of life, as opposed to a city plagued by poverty and foul odors.