Attitude Survey Results

(59)

"Budgetary Explosion"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for taking a look at my work. I have been struggling with the story's structure lately, but I'm trying to make it work. This chapter will be a story revolving around the main character. If you have any requests for a story like this, please let me know in the comments.

☆ ☆ ☆

January 21, 1771

Department of Land Administration, Petit Trianon

Well, there were too many things to do during the New Year, so I couldn't really rest. Anyway, Happy New Year. I have become King Louis XVI of France, succeeding Louis XV and turning from Auguste to Louis XVI. Becoming a king four years earlier than in original history, I finally managed to finish the transition work that I had been doing since the New Year's holiday.

First, let me introduce some major changes: the power balance at the Palace of Versailles.

When I was reincarnated, there were two major factions: Adélaïde's faction and Madame du Barry's faction. However, due to Adélaïde's failure and the assassination of Madame du Barry, most of the people belonging to Adélaïde's faction were either assigned to low-ranking positions or exiled, while the bureaucrats and officials of the Palace who belonged to Madame du Barry's faction were successfully integrated into the Dauphin's faction.

Furthermore, with the Duke's Gold incident, a large part of the anti-reformist aristocrats have been eliminated, strengthening the public's support base. The trials are still ongoing, but there is a high possibility that the duke and others will face capital punishment. However, the clergy... especially the Catholic Church, opposes and questions the reforms, so we will try to persuade them as much as possible, but we have no intention of stopping the tax reforms.

Even in the original history, the clergy and nobility, the First and Second Estates, were notorious for resisting taxation policies. Moreover, when I tried to promote the cultivation of potatoes throughout France, they refused to change their stance on growing potatoes in the manors, claiming that they could not confirm the safety of the potatoes.

I presented them with scientific data compiled by Antoine-Augustin Parmentier, an agronomist and researcher at the University of Paris who is trying to popularize potatoes in France, and tried to get them to actually eat potato dishes (including the fried potato chips I made), they said, "This is not food mentioned in the Bible, and it may cause syphilis, so we will not plant it!" I was not only angry but also dumbfounded at their response...

Syphilis is still a disease without a specific cure in this era, but it is a disease that is mainly transmitted through sexual intercourse or blood infection during battles. However, in this era, it was believed that vegetables and fruits brought from the New World, such as potatoes, tomatoes, and corn, were also responsible for bringing diseases. I am not as lenient as the historical Louis XVI, so be prepared......!

Their countdown to destiny is getting closer every moment.

'Well, regarding syphilis, it is widely believed that Columbus and his crew brought it back to Europe through sexual intercourse with the native people... but it's not wise to associate everything with religion.'

Potato cultivation has begun among the clergy who are attending as reformists. They are mainly Protestants rather than Catholics, though. But even among the Catholic clergy, there are open-minded individuals who willingly engage in cultivation on their lands, which is much appreciated. Although they belong to different denominations, those who support the reforms are actively helping with the changes. We must make efforts to repay their support and dedication.