Operation Leviathan

(224)

"Dissolution of the Subjugation Army"

☆ ☆ ☆

August 27, 1775

Good morning, everyone. It's not the usual refreshing morning; it's rather a hectic one for me, Louis XVI.

I was awakened... not by the usual morning breeze but by some incredibly significant information brought to me by an intelligence officer from the Department of Land Administration. Hauser woke me up through a speaking tube, informing me of an urgent first report from the Department of Land Administration. It was 06:30, about an hour earlier than my usual waking time, and it turned into quite an early morning call.

"Your Majesty, I apologize for disturbing your rest, but we have received an urgent first report. Could you please come over here?"

"Is it domestic or foreign?"

"The latter, Your Majesty. It has the potential to greatly impact our future policies."

"Alright. I'll head there right after changing clothes."

I got up from bed slowly, being careful not to wake Antoinette and Thérèse, who were still sleeping. When it comes to significant information from overseas, it's likely related to the New World... It must have been a major development for them to report it as breaking news in the first place, so there's no doubt about that. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense. I change out of my sleepwear into my regular attire and head to the office of the Department of Land Administration. Lately, I've found that simple and easy-to-change clothing is better than flashy, decorative outfits.

I hope that my two girls are still asleep for at least an hour. If they wake up now, Thérèse will throw a tantrum and insist on coming along. Despite being at the age where she seeks affection, it pains me to see her cry when I have to leave. Perhaps this is the trial of a father with children. I quietly closed the door to ensure they wouldn't wake up and made my way to the Department of Land Administration's reception room. Hauser was already standing there, waiting for me.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. What's this urgent first report?"

"Your Majesty, according to information received from a spy who just arrived from the New World, the British subjugation army had suffered a massive defeat."

"...A massive defeat, you say? That implies they suffered a significant loss, correct?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. Following a large-scale assault by the Continental Army on New York and St. John on August 2, the garrison forces staged a rebellion on a regimental scale immediately after the massive offensive. The rebel-held fortresses and urban areas fell, and even naval vessels were captured. Here is the report."

In the New World, the Americans, which declared independence, initiated a large-scale offensive on New York and St. John on August 2. Initially, the British subjugation army on the defensive side managed to repel the attacks. However, in the early hours of August 8, the gates of a fortress in New York were suddenly opened, and regular troops from the Continental Army entered. Simultaneously, a rebellion broke out within the British garrison and on multiple naval vessels that were reinforcing the defenses. It was not just isolated incidents; the rebellion occurred on a regimental scale.

"A rebellion... and not just a few individuals, but entire regiments? It's hard to believe, Hauser."

"Yes, Your Majesty. I had the same doubts and double-checked with the person who brought the report multiple times. It appears to be factual."