Prologue: Welcome to France

I didn't make a prologue, so this is my first chapter!

- Scarred G

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

= 202X, Tokyo =

"Hoaaaaaaaaaaammmm!!! I'm so tireeeeeeeeed!!!"

I came back to my home after staying up all night until 23:30 today. It's a 35-year-old ramshackle apartment with some cracks on the exterior walls that I call my home. Even though tomorrow is my day off, the overtime I've been working recently has been weighing heavily on my shoulders.

I have enough money to pay for the parts I need for my gaming computer, but even so, I feel as if my body has been screaming for help recently. I work at a major foreign company located inside the Yamanote Line... 20 minutes by train, 40 minutes by car, and 2 hours on foot.

All the departments are very busy these days, as the topic of planning and presentations have reached a climax in the company. My department is clerical work, and during this busy season, we are usually forced to fill up Excel and Word documents with a lot of calculations and other documents.

Hehehe, I should never have joined a black company.

"Even if they bring in new workers, they leave the company so quickly that they can't take over the work at all..."

The pay is good, but the overtime is a mountain of work. So yeah, it's a black company.

The turnover rate is 40% in one year...

Almost one out of every two new graduates stops showing up after six months of employment.

This year, a student who had just graduated from a national university joined the company, but two months after joining, he resigned due to power harassment. In addition, the guy who was taking care of the new graduate was forced to write a report and do the new graduate's work for him, and as a result, he jumped into a train and died on Tanabata day. My company is really too bleak.

It is as famous as a certain major convenience store or a certain major advertising agency as a black company, and it is the kind of company that is criticized daily on the internet forums.

"I want to quit, but... is there any company I can join after that?"

I'd be happy to quit that company, but sadly I don't have many skills. The only qualifications I have are an automatic limited driver's license and a beginner's training in nursing care, which I took as a trial when I was a university student. If I quit this company, the only job I could find would be as a caregiver.

In addition, I am a virgin and single...

And I'm over 30 years old...

...Hahaha, I'm forever alone.

I wish I could forget this painful reality as soon as possible.

"Good grief, I can't do this at all... I'm going to take a shower and then I'm going to have some food."

I threw my clothes in the washing machine and took a shower. While taking a hot shower, I scrubbed my head and other parts of my body with shampoo. I can't help but feel that these hot showers are strangely difficult to feel these days. After I finished showering, I sat on the sofa and looked at the clock in my room dazedly.

"Ooh... the clock's batteries have run out already... figures those 100-yen store clocks would run out of batteries soon."

I had just bought this clock from a 100-yen store, but the hands stopped working right away.