New World Disturbance

(161)

"Boston Incident"

☆ ☆ ☆

Good morning, everyone.

Today is January 3, 1774...

I'm currently in the midst of enjoying the Japanese-style kotatsu during the peaceful New Year's period. While I have a Spanish-made kotatsu known for its Western design, it feels more like warming my feet under a long-legged table with a brazier-like device beneath. I strongly yearn for the Japanese kotatsu, where you can lay back, covered up to your chest with a blanket.

Nevertheless, recently, it has become warm not only with the fireplace or kotatsu but also in bed. Well, it's even become hot at times. I occasionally spend passionate nights with Antoinette, and somehow, it seems I can have confidence in myself.

Well, putting that aside, this was the year when the Revolutionary War was about to begin in the Americas. A full-scale colonial war will likely break out between this year and the next. It's almost like a predestined event.

Some argue that the Revolutionary War began in 1775 with the siege of Boston, but considering that surface-level diplomatic tensions between the colonial government and the British government had already arisen around 1774, and independence-minded militia organizations, starting with the Boston Tea Party, had already been formed, you could interpret that the war had already begun beneath the surface.

So, I believe the Revolutionary War started in 1774. In this year, there were no battles near Boston yet, but skirmishes and sabotage against the British government had already begun, making it a state of conflict by 1774.

If I were to say this with a serious face to a historian, they might point out that the timing might be off by about a year, but in any case, it's a fact that the relationship between the Americas and Britain was deteriorating.

When I was a child, I was taught that the Kamakura Shogunate was established in 1192 when Minamoto no Yoritomo became the Shogun. However, before I was reincarnated, there should have been a reconsideration in textbooks, where it was thought that the shogunate was established in 1185 when Yoritomo won the Battle of Dan-no-ura and seized control of Japan's military power. In other words, interpretations can sometimes change the outcome.

"Your Majesty, here is the first report on the overseas situation received by the Department of Land Administration."

"Oh, thank you. Leave it on that desk there."

"As you wish."

Since deskwork has become a daily routine, fresh overseas information is also regularly delivered. The number of intelligence agents deployed overseas by the Department of Land Administration has increased significantly. In particular, there are several hundred intelligence agents providing information from various locations in the Republic of Krakow, the Kingdom of Prussia, and the British American colonies. The farther away the information is, the longer it takes.

Since Morse code had not yet been invented, information was basically exchanged by encrypted letters. Particularly in the direction of the Americas, crossing the Atlantic by ship is often required, which consumes a considerable amount of time and cost.

Every time we gather the initial information, money is spent on paying local residents (bribes), cooperation fees for local government officials (bribes), and hush money for crew members disguised as private companies (bribes), and various expenses are incurred. Each piece of information costs ten thousand livres. Nevertheless, this kind of information is indispensable.