59 - Summer

Just to clarify there will be a chapter every day through to the conclusion on Saturday.

The air was stifling. Mid July without an ocean breeze felt inhumane. Rory had sweat on her forehead. Sam's back was wet.

He looked around his Nonna's kitchen, as Rory leaned against the broom. He had sold the house as is. The new owners could deal with the peeling linoleum. Later that afternoon, Sam would have a large check in his hand.

Sam said, "Celebrate? Lunch at the diner?"

"I need a shower."

Sam nodded. "Dee's then the diner and the bank."

Rory frowned. "Then the airport for me."

Sam smiled. "You haven't left yet, and I'll be home Friday night."

They picked up the broom and the last of the trash. Sam looked around one last time before he shut the door. It was just a house. He took his memories with him, in boxes and in his heart.

Dee's family was on vacation in Maine, so her house was empty. Sam would see them at the end of the week, but he had spent plenty of time with his aunt, uncle, and cousins over the past year.

Rory went upstairs while Sam checked his phone. He felt like he was juggling ten balls but wasn't stressed, because he was living his dream in ways he never imagined. Sam answered an email from his agent and another from his network contact. He had a text from Alex and another one from Nadine.

The biggest ball was the cottage on Puffin that had become available for sale. It was the same one he and Rory had sneaked into. Alex had been with John Harris at the door and intended to buy it, but let Sam instead with the agreement Sam would hire him to renovate it, like Sam would consider anyone else. With the sale of Nonna's house and his original film, he could afford it with a reasonable mortgage. In a week, he would own a home on The Point. He smiled. Cole was jealous.

Rory was still in the shower when he finished the pressing business. He striped down and stepped into the tub. She smiled as the water cascaded on her head and formed a river between her breasts. In the two months since he returned home, they had grown stronger as a couple. Being apart was easier, knowing Rory was waiting for him. She was busy with her work, including leading groups for children at a Portland charity similar to the one in Virginia.

He pulled her wet body flush against him and nibbled at her ear. She giggled. "Alex wants to confirm which toilet he should order."

She pulled back. "You get bad marks for your seduction."

He laughed. "Sorry. We can talk about fixtures later."

"Tell him I'll stop by tomorrow."

Sam didn't respond, all coherent thoughts had left him. Only the nude, wet woman pressed to him mattered.

Both had big smiles when they entered the diner. Sam felt more comfortable in Turner. He recognized faces and had acquainted himself with people, but he wasn't sad to be leaving. He couldn't rule out an occasional visit, because it was a convenient place to stop, and he was always welcome at Dee's. No matter how impractical, he would probably travel home to Rory.

Tina waved. "Hi, sugars. Be right with you."

They slid into a booth. Sam itched for his camera, but he had enough pictures of the Turner Diner. "I made a list of diners to visit. You wanna go to New Hampshire?"

Rory smiled. "You should wait until the fall. We both need to enjoy a summer on The Point."

Sam smiled. "We're going to be living on The Point."