61 - Mothers

Sam woke up in an empty bed. It was January, so he wasn't traveling. He had a freelance gig photographing the hockey game in Portland the night before. Between a few sports events a week and helping Alison, he kept busy. Unfortunately, the games were at night so he and Rory missed each other.

It was one of her late nights, but he would be home to have dinner ready for her. Snow had fallen overnight, so he texted Rory asking about the roads. She should have woken him to clear her car. Feeling restless, he put on his coat and boots and grabbed his camera. He still made a few bucks off pictures he sold online. Snowy beach pictures always drew an interest.

He stepped on the beach, and the wind hit him. Random flakes were still falling, and he tried to capture some against the dark and cloudy backdrop. He didn't get what he wanted and scrapped his plans. Instead, he walked up the street for a muffin. Everyone else went for coffee. Sam went for the sweet and occasionally hot chocolate. It was one of those days.

The Landing was crowded for a Wednesday morning. Sam scanned the crowd and knew most of them. In the back corner, his father was sitting with Jack. He waved to them and stepped up to the counter.

"Sam, what interests you?" Rick smiled.

"That blueberry muffin and hot chocolate."

"You got it. I saw your photographs in the paper. Seeing your name never gets old."

Sam smiled. He planned to head out on assignment for the summer and fall again. He wondered if he would grow tired of it down the line, so he always had his eye out for other opportunities.

He took his food and walked past his neighbors.

Bryan smiled. "Sammy."

"Hi Dad, Jack. What's going on?"

Jack shook his head. "Just catching up. I heard Cole and Anna set a date."

"Thankfully, they picked a Sunday otherwise I would miss my brother's wedding." Getting to ten games a season was tough to schedule. He couldn't take a week off."

Jack said, "You'll have to pick a spring date for yourself."

Sam chuckled. "I haven't proposed."

Jack sighed. "What's taking you so long? I have Nicole's ring."

Bryan said, "I have your mother's, but I'm guessing Jack could afford a better ring."

Sam sputtered, before finding words. "I wanted to give Cole and Anna the spotlight."

Bryan said, "The excitement has died down."

Jack said, "I think you know I approve."

Sam smiled. "Emma and JP, too."

Jack nodded. "They love you like a brother."

"Our anniversary is the day after her birthday."

Jack said, "That's not for three months."

Sam looked at his father. "Sam, think about Rory. She has to listen to Anna plan her wedding. Wouldn't she feel better if she had one to plan?"

Sam shrugged. "She's happy for them." He looked at both men. "This wasn't your idea. Who's concerned?"

Jack sighed. "Maddie."

Bryan added, "And she mentioned it to Alison."

"And I stumble across you two discussing it? I should have stayed home."

Jack smiled. "We were planning to stop by to see you. In fact, we have the rings."

Sam looked at them. "With you? Don't take them out here! Rory would know within ten minutes."