23 - Only you

If Sam was dreaming, he never wanted to wake up. When he walked Rory home. Maddie and Jack were still awake; they had a few couples over. There were little New Year's gatherings around The Point. The house on the beach where the author, Matthew Clark, lived had been lit up with cars in front.

Maddie reacted first when Rory pulled him inside. "Sam!" She looked from Rory to Sam who had a stupid grin he couldn't knock off his face. "Are you two good?"

Rory nodded. "Yeah" She didn't smile until she looked at Sam.

It couldn't be easy being the one who screwed things up and had to admit she was wrong.

Jack smiled. "You happy, kiddo?"

She smiled. "Yes. Much happier."

Maddie clapped her hands. "Hallelujah. I thought I was going to have to knock your heads together." She frowned at Sam. "When I saw you and that girl."

Sam put his hands up. "I hardly know her. Talk to Will, he spends time with her."

Maddie said goodnight and pushed Jack towards the stairs. Sam looked at Rory, as she smirked. Jack said, "Come for breakfast."

Sam said, "See that was easy."

She shook her head. "It's all my fault."

"No, Rore. I think you had some valid points. We had been together since you were still grieving. Rory being Rory is a good thing. Can't you be Rory with a boyfriend in Boston who you talk to?"

"I never wanted to date anyone. No guy I met came close to you."

Sam felt the fist. "Did you meet a lot?"

"No. Counseling doesn't attract a lot of males."

Sam smiled, before furrowing his brow. "Rory, what did you do when you had a bad day?"

Rory looked at him with glassy eyes. "Nothing. Cried. Missed you even when I was the reason."

"Promise me, you'll always share your bad days with me."

Rory looked at him and nodded. He reached up and laced his hand in her soft silky hair. Rory brought her lips to his, and he exploded with emotion. Separating, he said, "I feel our hearts beating as one."

They stood in the kitchen embracing. Reluctantly he left and walked home in the frosty night air.

Too excited to sleep, he woke early. He was in the kitchen when his dad walked in looking weary.

"Sammy, what are you doing up?"

Sam smiled. "Going to breakfast at Rory's."

Bryan smiled. "Rory's? I'm happy for you."

"Thanks, Dad."

Bryan sat at the table just before Cole walked in. Sam had been jealous of Cole while he had Anna and Sam longed for Rory. Learning Cole stayed at Anna's brought out a different jealousy. He and Rory would be lucky to have makeup sex. There was no privacy on The Point. No secrets either.

JP ran to him when he walked into the Harris house. Rory smiled from across the room. Emma joined in vying for his attention. Maddie laughed. "Let him say hello to Rory."

Sam felt heat on his neck as he walked across the room. Gently with a touch of his fingertips to her palm, he took her soft hand in his. "Hi, Rore."

She smiled and stood on her toes to brush his lips. Jack watched so it would have to be enough. If it was just Maddie and no kids, he might have taken her in his arms and kissed her like he had the night before. As Rory's grandparents and Ryan and Lana arrived, it became obvious they all expected Sam to be there.