32 - Worrier

When Cole heard Sam was going to Virginia for the summer, he felt disappointed. Seriously, who wanted to skip summer on The Point?

Sam defended his decision. "You don't live here anymore. I bet you and Anna will only show up on weekends."

Cole stopped himself from a rebuttal. Even if he didn't drive over, being close enough so he could visit the beach was important. It hit him he no longer lived on The Point when he overheard his mom refer to his room as the guest room. The last time they had guests in a guest room was for Christmas when Sam and Bryan stayed together. One more sign of how wrong he was. Bryan was such a nice guy, he didn't stay in the same room as Alison until after their wedding.

"Mom, if my room is the guest room, what's Sam's room?"

She chuckled. "Sam's room is Sam's room."

"But he's moving out too."

She frowned. "He's going to Virginia but he'll be back for holidays and breaks. It's like when you were in school. You and Anna will never come back home again. Sam might after Rory graduates."

Poor Sam. Cole wouldn't want to go backwards and live in separate houses. He loved having Anna with him. Cole often felt like he was in a hurry to move on to the next phase. In addition to saving for a house, he was saving for a ring. Unlike Rory and her needing a break, Cole didn't see the point in putting off a future which was inevitable.

A part of him was mad at Rory again. It was always her plans. She picked the school in Virginia, she needed the break, and she took the summer internship. He tried to tamp down his negative thoughts because they sounded like the old Cole. The guy he didn't even want to remember. He wasn't as bad as the dickwad Kyle but almost.

Just thinking about the kid caused him to make a fist. Cole had been keeping an eye on Keira. Watching her interact with Sam as her usual bubbly self, helped him breathe better. He worried Keira lied, and the kid forced himself all the way. All the stuff in the news about sexual assault concerned him. He lived in the dorms and saw a lot of bad stuff go down. The good thing was unlike Anna, Keira didn't get pregnant. Deep down he had been petrified for his sister. Every time he saw her run off with her two friends he felt better. She and Ivy were entering their last year of high school and Sophie was going to college. How did Sam just finish?

Everyone was excited about Will being drafted and the segment about Sam's film on the news. Cole could brag that an NFL player stole his first girlfriend. Cassie was probably cashing in on having slept with Will. A few months before they ran into her at a bar in Portland. Cole didn't want to remember when she was sweet. Keira wasn't the only one with regrets.

As he tossed the ball, Anna talked to Darlene. They looked far too serious which was an oddity for Bryan's sister. Cole frowned as he remembered Mike invited them to dinner to drop the bomb. The guy got out. At least he finally admitted responsibility and remorse. Anna had taken the news stoically, but Cole had felt fear grip his heart.

"Is she safe?" He pleaded to Mike. "It's not a secret where she is. What about Michaela?"

Mike frowned. "He has no rights to her. She is Tim's daughter. Jake is watching out for him."

Anna looked at her father. "He didn't like me enough to care. He'll have no interest in me. I bet he lied to get out, and he's not sorry."

Mike hugged her and Cole felt helpless. Later that night, she lay in bed with her back to him. He spooned her. "Are you okay?"

She nodded and sobbed. "When will it ever go away?"

Cole stopped from saying it never would. "It will fade. You take steps away from it every day. You are not the scared girl who moved into my house anymore than I'm the jerky kid. Even Keira realizes I changed."

"I may never go visit my mother."

She and Shelby had taken steps to repair their relationship. She liked Cole too.

"Good thing she comes to visit you." She and her husband made the trip twice a year.

"What was Darlene saying to you?"

"The parole hearing got the grapevine going. The tone has changed, especially after the second charge."

"That's something positive."

"I guess my statement didn't help. I should have skipped it."

Her statement was their only secret. Anna refused to share with Cole. "If you hadn't written it, you would wonder if you should have. You would have more regret."

"It made me think of all the ways he affected my life. It's hard to look towards the future and be the victim."

"Anna, you are so much more than a victim. You have fought back. Just the things you did for Michaela: keeping her safe, giving her nutrients, loving her. That took strength."

"You love her too."

Cole pulled her closer. "Because she is a part of you. I see your smile. One day, we'll make a child who is both of us."

"Not yet."

Cole smiled. "Not yet. We have a plan and it's just starting."

Cole wanted to shift their plan. Not the baby timeline, but he wanted to get married.

"I know. Today was just a bad day."

"Do you feel safe?"

Anna didn't reply as she turned over to face him. "I think so. I'm too old now and the only reason he picked me was because I let him." He started to argue. "No, it's true. I was naïve and stupid, but I understand I was young and immature. Keira helped me see it through a new lens. Thank God, she was slightly smarter than me."

"She didn't? She didn't lie to me, did she?"

Anna reached out and touched his face. "No. I love how much you care and worry about her. She's lucky to have you as a brother."

Cole loved her for knowing what had been bothering him. "And Sam."

Anna sighed. "I know you're unhappy, but it's only one summer."

"I know. Why does Sam always do what Rory wants?"

Anna laughed. "You are so sweet, but according to Rory, she would have come home if Sam said no. They decided together."

Sam and Rory came for a sleepover two nights after his big party. Even Cole had to admit it felt like old times. They planned to play cards, but not drink because he and Anna had to work the next morning.

They had takeout from the Chinese place around the corner. Anna was struggling to use chopsticks and laughing. He loved seeing her laugh. Sam said, "I remember we had Chinese to celebrate the first night we came back to Maine."

Cole nodded. "I was such a twit."

Rory laughed. "You still are." Cole deserved it. "I'm kidding. Chinese has always made me think of my mother."

Sam squeezed her hand. "I don't want to think about the night last summer, but no regrets."

Did it mean they were getting older when they reminisced a lot? Sam stepped away for a phone call and Rory looked at Cole.

"I know I hurt you when I hurt Sam, but trust me. I love him. He's my future. I don't need any more time apart. I'm okay with only ever kissing him. Why would I want to kiss someone I don't love? He will always excite me. Please forgive me. Sam did."

Cole nodded, and Anna smiled. "Good, because you would be sleeping on the sofa.

Sam returned and looked at them with a dazed look on his face. Rory spoke first.

"Sam, what's wrong? Is everything okay."

Cole worried worse than an old lady. He jumped up. "Sam! What's wrong!"

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️