31 - Finally

Sam remembered little from his tour of his school when he debated transferring and changing his major to photography. The one thing that stuck out was learning about the senior show. Finally, after more than a thousand hours of shooting and editing, it was his film's grand debut. He never imagined his major piece would be a film back then. He had some amazing photographs on display too. Including Will's incredible catch, his miss when the ball slipped through his fingers, and Will with Liam.

The one thing he never imagined four years before was Rory not being beside him. Still the show of support was awesome with his entire family. Keira smiled as he hugged her. She had recovered from her experience. Sam made a fist just thinking of it. Cole caught his eye and gave a quick no with the back and forth of his head.

He leaned in. "Not tonight. It's all about you." He smiled. Before the night was over, he was the one answering questions on a camera about his project. It all felt surreal. To add to the excitement, the football draft was in two days. Will's dreams would hopefully be recognized.

It was late when he could finally FaceTime with Rory. "How was it?"

"Amazing with one exception, you."

"I know. I remember thinking about this night when I decided to go away."

"You were with me here." Sam patted his chest. "And Keira was smiling. My dad was so proud."

Rory said, "Did he bring up your mother?"

Sam frowned. Rory understood. "No, but he had the look."

"Oh, the look."

They had come so far in their grief, they could discuss poignant moments without crying.

"Sam, I wished I was there with you."

"I know, Rore. How was your meeting with your advisor?"

"Ugh." She frowned.

"What's wrong?"

"Why do good things have to be bad?"

"Is this a riddle?"

"I wish. She's recommending me for an internship with a program which works with young kids who lost a parent."

"That's good. That's awesome!"

"Yeah, I know. Except it's a summer program. It starts two weeks after my classes end."

"Oh shit. Do you want to do it?"

She sighed. "Do you want to spend the summer in Virginia?"

"You want me to?"

Rory nodded. "If we decide I should take it, then yeah."

Sam felt his heart race. "We?"

Rory nodded. "Couples decide together. I know you let me make my school decision but we need to be a team."

"Do you want to spend the summer away from the kids and the beach and our friends?"

"I don't know. The program is perfect, but I miss home. Would you want to?"

"I want to be with you. Of course I'd miss it. Promise me this time next year, you'll come home for good."

"I promise."

Sam had already been thinking. They won't make the same money as Cole and Anna, but maybe they could rent above Evan's.

Rory frowned. "I'm still not sure. Were you serious about living here in the fall?"

"I want to. I need a job. Will I need an apartment?"

Rory shrugged. "We need to ask Ryan."

"I feel in limbo. The only thing I know is I'm hanging at the Drake's for the draft."