14 - Poison

Rory stared at her phone. It would have been so easy to respond to the text staring at her. Instead, she picked up her glass and took a sip. She looked around at her friend's place. Grace's father paid the rent for the upscale apartment. The contemporary decor was a twelve compared to her Boston apartment which was about a three. Sam's was a negative two. Why did every thought lead to Sam?

Chantal pressed the button on the fancy blender. "Okay, bitches another batch coming up."

Grace held out her glass for a refill. "What are we toasting to?"

Chantal smiled. "Our new friend Rory."

Rory giggled. "How about acing our research methods exam?"

Grace nodded. "That's something to drink to."

Rory's phone bleeped again. Sam never sent multiple texts. He had texted the night before to let her know he was home.

🗨Anna: We ALL miss you here.

No subtle message there. Did Sam really miss her? He hung out with that nurse all the time. Every weekend pictures of him showed up on her social media. Rory took a large sip. Thoughts of Sam kissing the cute girl hurt, but it was her fault.

Chantal said, "Is it your sister?"

"No, I heard from her earlier. My friend from home."

Grace studied her. "Rory, why does home make you sad? Are you homesick?"

"What? No." Homesick was not the right word. "Seriously, my uncle is a younger version of my Dad. His wife is my friend. She's like my stepmom and they have the kids. Really, it's like living at home without the beach." And without the person who knows me better than anyone.

After Grace's candid question, Rory summoned her courage. "Grace, you never answered why you chose counseling."

Grace looked from Rory to Chantal. The two communicated with their eyes. Grace paused, as Chantal's gaze set on Rory. "We can trust you right."

"Yeah, or I'd make a shitty counselor."

"Tell us something we don't know."

Grace found her voice. "Something major. Not what color underwear you have on."

Rory smirked. "I don't remember. Major?" If she told them about Sam, he would become the elephant in the room. She took a deep breath. There was a time when she would be in tears just thinking of it. "My mother was pregnant when she had her accident. My sister was delivered prematurely by cesarean before she died."

Both girls gasped. Chantal whispered, "Fuck."

Grace wiped a tear. Rory hadn't shed one. She could easily if she dwelled too long on her mother. Sam would be proud of her.

Grace put her arm around her. "Honey, no wonder you had counselors."

And a special friend. Rory wiped a tear, but couldn't pinpoint the loss that caused it.

Grace cleared her throat. "I had a boyfriend in high school. He was a bad boy. The more my father hated him, the more I liked him. I didn't realize how unhealthy our relationship was until it was too late."

Rory's jaw dropped open with her eyes wide. "Too late?"

"He was controlling. The first time I tried to break up with him he threatened me and did this."

She pushed her flannel pants down on her hip to show Rory the round scar. Rory's face was white. "A cigarette?"

Grace nodded. "How about a refill?"