54 - Sory

Rory was waiting for Cole and Anna when they exited the airport. It was the first time he and Anna had traveled together. They both needed a vacation and Virginia was warm and sunny. Even in the evening, Cole could tell it was a lot warmer than in Maine.

He stood by as Anna hugged Rory. Then it was his turn to be surprised by how thin she felt. He frowned and added to his list of worries.

Her smile looked genuine. "Come on. I think Lana is keeping the kids up to see you."

Anna said, "I bet they've grown."

Cole sat in the backseat to let the girls talk. He checked his phone for messages. Things weren't going well in Ohio. Bryan had left the day before to be with Sam. Cole felt torn about being with Rory instead of his brother.

Once they reached the house, there were lots of hugs and talking. The kids had grown, especially Charlotte.

Cole looked around. Lana had come a long way from waiting tables and cleaning cottages. "It's beautiful."

Anna nodded. "Amazing."

Lana smiled. "We're giving you the basement. There's a futon that everyone says is comfortable."

Rory said, "My dad and Maddie have slept on it."

Lana said, "We let them take over the basement when they come."

Anna said, "It'll be great."

Lana clapped her hand. "Let's eat."

She led them outside to a gorgeous patio. They set the table with candles. The famous hot tub was at the edge of the patio.

Ryan said, "You can take a dip after dinner."

Cole smiled and looked at Rory. "You had this to yourself last summer."

She frowned. "I can't wait to go home."

He and Anna updated them on the news from home, including the news about Dustin going straight back to jail. He felt relaxed, and as he looked around, he wanted an outside living space one day. Ryan was so cool. He knew how to live.

The conversation continued when Cole's phone vibrated. He stepped away to answer Bryan's call.

His voice was calm. "Nonna's gone."

"Sam?" He felt his throat thicken.

"Okay. It's too soon to tell."

He looked at the happy gathering. "I should come."

"No. Wait until we make some arrangements. I got this."

Bryan clicked off and for the first time in years, it reminded Cole that Sam and Bryan had been their own family. He would call his mother later, but he had to break the news to Rory.

Slowly he walked back to the table. Lana was laughing over something as Ryan smiled at her. Anna looked up at Cole and frowned causing Rory to turn her head and Lana to sober.

"It was my dad. Nonna passed away."

Rory's face grimaced. "Sam." It sounded faint like a prayer.

Lana said, "Poor Sam, but she suffered for too long."

Anna said, "What should we do?"

"Bryan said to wait. So we do our best to enjoy our visit."

Rory got up and left the table. Anna stood, but Lana put her hand out and stopped her. "Let her. Aside from Bryan, no one will feel Sam's pain like Rory."

Cole put his arm around Anna. She looked at Lana. "Will she call him?"

"I don't know. In the past seven or eight months he's ignored her. Now he's moved on. She's trying to redefine her life. This summer is going to be hard for her when her focus should be on getting her license to practice."